EIGHTEEN

RIVER LETHE, THE UNDERWORLD

PERSEPHONE

THE LORD OF THE DEAD GAVE ME THREE DAYS TO RECOVER FROM THE DEVASTATING ORDEAL.

It was on one warm, sleepy afternoon that I found myself sitting opposite him in a boat of oakwood, rowing away on the glittering, magical water of the Underworld's river. The past three nights had been fraught with sleeplessness and a hungry, aching desire to help that wailing spirit. It had taken all the strength I had to finally dress myself in a deep, plum chiton after bathing in steamed waters of scented lemon - before finally placing the mysterious, bejeweled crown of bones upon my waiting head.

Hades had raised his eyebrows in distant surprise, at first. His eye filled with ravenous delight, before a cold, proud smile grew on his face, wearing something like... wonder. Or admiration. Yet he said nothing to me except his courteous greeting, carefully helping me climb into the unsinkable, strong boat of his own creation. Now he looked at me and I looked at him, watching the rippling muscles on his forearms - a consequence of him rolling up the sleeves of his dark robes in order to work the oars.

Every inch of him shone in the dim light like perfectly carved, tasteful marble.

"Where are we going?" did I question at last, curiosity getting the better of me, grasping me like a vengeful demon.

"You'll find out soon. Look at the water, Persephone. See how it shines."

I looked once out of the boat, into the vast, unending body of water stretching out away from us, extending for miles. A tiny speck in a galaxy of darkness, that was us. And if I fell over...

"I won't let you fall. Promise. This boat is unsinkable."

He wouldn't let me drown, at least. Well, now that was comforting. If he wanted to get rid of me, just one little push and I'd be on my way to Charon's merry little abode at once.

I leaned over the exquisite, gilded rim of the boat, and I looked.

The dark waters of the Styx were gone, replaced by water so clear, so pure, that I could look down at it and see how endlessly deep it was - hundreds and thousands of fathoms. And if I looked harder - harder than ever before - so hard that it strained my eyes, as if looking to seek a single star in a universe of millions, I could see a golden, molten glow that reminded me of the blooming sun. It shone at me, as if welcoming me into its warm arms, and reflected back my dazed, bright face at me: eyes shining, cheeks flushed, crown glittering.

It wasn't just beautiful - that word couldn't do it enough justice.

It was marvellous.