SIXTEEN

HALL OF HADES, THE UNDERWORLD

HADES

IT WAS ALREADY PAST MORNING, THE VERY FIRST DAY OF OUR AGREEMENT - AND WE WERE ALREADY RUNNING BEHIND SCHEDULE. 

“How much longer?” I impatiently knocked again on the door adjoining our chambers, curling my fists. 

“Just five more minutes!” the female voice wafted from behind the doors.

They’d been telling me that since the past one hour.

Women.

Suddenly, the door opened, the fair eyed handmaidens of the Queen fluttered out like a bevy of startled doves, giggling and pushing each other out of the way. I craned my neck eagerly to watch her - the damned ladies surely took their time running off. 

And there she was, lovelier than the rising moon.

“Good morning,” I muttered, feeling my mouth go dry at her sheer beauty. “You look… very… very beautiful.”

“Oh,” Persephone blushed, a tiny giggle on her rosy lips, turning around to show me how the breezy chiffon skirts flew around as she twirled, the silk brushing on her skin. Her hair was down in a ripple of auburn and mahogany, crowned with a bunch of fresh flowers I had sent upstairs for her in the morning. The mere whiff of her made my blood heat. I gallantly offered her my hand, watching her carefully as her cheeks heated a plum red, before nervously placing her petite palm in mine. 

By the heaven, her skin was so fucking soft.

“You should learn how to take a compliment,” I frowned at her, watching her spring green eyes widen like a young leaf as we wandered about the gloomy halls, smelling of smoke and wine. 

“I… don’t dress up much.”

“Much? I daresay you don’t dress up at all, Persephone,” a corner of my lips turned at her remark, and I watched her glare at me, amused by how pretty she looked when she did that.  

“If you are here to insult me, I am better off staying in my chambers,” she shot back at me, her shoes clicking on the cobbled pathway of the ancient, eternal corridors. Yet her face lit up slightly as she paused for a minute, taking in the cold, ornate surroundings, like a beauty frozen in everlasting ice. 

So she liked the castle.

“Let me know if you want for anything.”