FIFTY

THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, OLYMPUS

ZEUS

IT HAD BEEN OVER HALF A YEAR.

Half a year since the horrors that went down in the Underworld.

Half a year since my daughter lost her son, since my brother lost his family.

All this while I sat on this gilded throne of lies, hand resting on the golden armrest, deep in precarious thought. Around me, courtiers went on babbling about their tragic, loveless lives over the gurgling water fountains. Golden bells rang in the temples and over the hills, marking the beginnings of the harvest season.

"Go," I shooed the mortals out with a dismissive wave. "Come back tomorrow."

Around me, what was left of the broken Council got to their feet. Poseidon was flirting openly with one of the attendants fanning Hera. My other sister, Hestia, was pointedly glaring at Aphrodite, busily seducing Ares with her dove eyed gaze. Her crippled husband, Hephaestus, looked on sullenly, his scowl sourer than rotten curd. Apollo was missing after I banished him, probably gone off wooing some other helpless maidens with Hermes trailing behind him.

The Council of gods was a mess, just like this damn year.

"Athena," I found my daughter tersely observing the entire chaos with a calculating fascination in her eyes. "Go find Persephone."

She shrugged, stalking out of the room. The others took the cue, beginning to clear out. I only needed the original heads of the Council here, Hera and Poseidon. For what I was going to speak to Perse about. For what I was about to ask of her. As we waited, Poseidon leaned back in his seat, biting his lip as Hera leaned closer to hiss something in my ear.

"The harvest starts today. That means Demeter is back! Surely you could wait for her to go before dragging Persephone here. Do you have any idea what that child is going through?"

"Demeter will be gone soon. It is urgent that I speak to Persephone today."

For it had come to my attention that she had brought spring back to the barren, void wasteland that lay in her mother's wake. I had not seen my daughter's face in a long time. I did not even know where she was. For all of Hera's shortcomings, I knew she would keep her safe and away from those with ill intent. I knew for a fact that she wasn't alone, not with Athena or Artemis missing their duties to go with her wherever she wanted.

There were quick footsteps outside the doors, as I leaned forward, fingers crossed, expectant. She must be here at last.

But the doors opened.

And it was not Persephone standing there.

But Demeter.

Not her again, damn it. I told her to go do her job. And yet there she stood.