TWENTY SIX

FOREST OF THE FURIES, THE UNDERWORLD

HADES

THE WOODS WERE LOVELY, DARK AND DEEP.

Moss green shadows cast intricate patterns across her divine face, contrasting in shades of ebony and ivory - rendering her so beautiful, so godly, a masterpiece made by the finest artist in the world.

Around us, the Forest was a quiet, cold scenery - faintly humming, a noise that inched itself into the back of your brain and threatened to make you go mad. There was still, heavy richness in the air, the kind that left you light headed and slightly delusional.

I had always loved this place.

Loved its stillness, its quiet. Loved the peace.

Her fingers tightened around mine, her touch a quick flutter - like the beat of a butterfly's wing. Her eyes darted to mine, wide and green and full of wonder.

There was a touch of death upon her, and it made her look even more beautiful than ever.

"I have never seen anything so deathless yet so full of splendour," Persephone whispered, her voice tumbling out of her lips like a sliver of silk.

"Say that to the countless mortals who have nightmares about this forest," I smirked, entwining our hands together. Her lip quirked slightly in a cold smile. A spot of colour bloomed on her high cheekbones.

"Is it true that Hecate lives here?" she turned back to me, her face alight with wonder.

"Well, technically - the Furies own this forest. The three fates," I muttered. I took hold of her wrist, gently turning it over in my palm like a newborn rose. "Although, Hecate built her temples here. The woods are terrifying enough to keep the unwanted distractions away so that she can work in peace."

My fingers directed her to the entrance of a stark white tower that loomed into the storm grey skies above us, disappearing into the fog. The entrance to the imposing, spindly tower was nowhere to be seen, obscured as it was between an orchard laden with luscious fruit flanked by gargoyles of granite.

"That," I whispered softly into Persephone's ear, "is where the Fates live."

The excitement lighting her eyes delighted the devil in me.

"The Erinyes?"

I nodded.

"Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos. They who weave the fates of men and mortal alike."

I would never forget the evening those three deities had found me, promising her to me. I would never forget the stark white of their robes shining like a ghost in the dark, the diamonds glowing in their silver hair. I would never forget their cracked lips moving, promising, promising, promising - Destiny, indeed. She is destined to be your Queen, Lord Hades.