○ TWENTY- THREE ○

○ TWENTY- THREE ○

"She almost drowned.."

"I heard she was trying to kill herself.."

"Really? I heard Matthew pushed her.."

The whispers followed me as I walked down the schools hallway, my grip on my library books becoming a little too tight.

I tried to ignore it but their constant stares finally drove me over the edge, so I was making my way to the library to clear my head. My footsteps were light as I pushed open the two wooden doors and made my way to the corner of the room.

Sitting down at a table, I opened my book and stared down at the words. I barely read any of them.
"Hey" a voice said.

I looked up as Henry stood by a book stack. I raised an eyebrow. "Are my eyes deceiving me or is Henry King in the library?" I asked, smiling as I joked.

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah yeah, I know.. Henry King breaking stereotypes since '98, what are you doing in here?" He asked, walking closer.

"Oh you know, escaping this world for another" I replied, lifting up my book.

"Wow, a Dresden Files fan, where have you been my entire life?" He asked grinning.

I blushed. "May I?" He asked, gesturing to the seat.

"Sure" I replied, happy to have company that didn't hate me.

He pulled out a book. "An Iron Druid Chronicles fan? I can't believe my eyes.." I replied smiling before looking back at my book.

"Hey, don't be dissing my homeboy Atticus" Henry replied as we shared a laugh.

"Shelby?" A surprised voice asked.

I looked up quickly to see Matthew and Harry. Matt had his arms crossed as he seemed to glare at Henry. "Matt, Harry- what are you guys doing here?" I asked, leaning back from my book.

"Looking for you, wondering if you wanted to do a jam session" Harry said quickly, speaking for Matthew who was still glaring daggers at Henry.

"Oh I was just doing some reading, maybe later" I said glancing at Matt again.

Henry ignored his presence. "Yes Shelby, we would all really appreciate it if you came and hung out with us" Matt finally spoke, through his teeth.

I raised an eyebrow. "I'll join you guys later" I replied.

Harry took hold of Matt's arm and started to pull him back slightly. "Okay, well we'll see you later" Harry said.

I nodded, smiling and Henry leant forward. Matt and Harry turned their backs and started to walk away. "That reminds me, are you free the night of the Winter dance?" Henry asked, looking up from his book.

Surprised, I stared at him. "Are you being serious or just joking with me?" I asked, quite confused.

He chuckled. "Serious" he said.

I cleared my throat and averted my eyes from his. "I'm going to the dance with Matthew, he already asked me" I said, turning the page of my book.

He didnt say anything so I looked up. He was as staring at me intently. "Would I be an ass if I said this is the favour you owe me?" He asked, leaning back.

I frowned. "Whatever feud you have with Matthew is your business but keep me out of it, I'm going to the dance with Matt, I've already said yes" I replied, shrugging one shoulder.

Henry leaned forward. "So you won't care about all the rumours that will start when I tell everyone about your little male locker room heist?" He asked, tilting his head.