1

Depression.

Most people think that depression is being sad all the time but it's not. They think if you're depressed it's because you seeking attention. It's not.

Depression means different things to different people. To me depression isn't feeling sad all the time, I can be happy and smiling one minute and feel empty the next.

I always thought that if you found the right person to talk to, it would make it all better. That's what's engraved in our heads all our life. It doesn't.

I am Amy Johnson. An almost 18 year soon to be college student.

Today is a very important day in my life because today I tell my parents I'm gay and I have no idea how they are going to react.

———

"Mum she stole my charger again!" my sister screams from my room and I know she's talking about me. Although it's absolutely impossible for me to have stole it.

"I did not. It's probably in her school bag, where it was last time." this child is always losing her charger and I always get blamed. It makes no sense logically but because I'm the oldest. I resist the urge to roll my eyes and scream something at the idiot I share DNA with. Today is going to be a good day.

"Amy give your sister her charger and Chrisy it's your turn to make breakfast so get down here." we heard our mother scream from downstairs.

Chrisy walks into my room, looking annoyed and starts going through my stuff. Probably to look for the kissing charger I didn't take.

"I didn't take your charger but if you shut up I'll make breakfast" I say in hopes she'll leave it be and not annoy our Mother even more than she already has.

I'm already up an hour earlier than I was supposed to be and if Christina cooks, I'll get food poisoning.

"Deal." she says because she hates cooking while I love it.

———

I walk down the stairs of the ridiculously huge house we live in and head for the kitchen. You see my family is sort of rich. My father, Samuel Johnson, is a doctor. He grew up in England and moved to the states where he met my mom, Isabelle Johnson and they got married and had me, then my sister 3 years later.

Anyway, his very parents believed to be successful you have to be a doctor so that's what he is because he knew that when they died he would inherit most of the wealth as the favourite. They did intact die, right before I was born and he spent most of his inheritance on the ridiculous house.

My parents are decent parents. They love us but they're not always around and my mother is one of the most judgemental people I know. They drilled our religion into us but I don't really follow it. I put on a facade in front of my parents because my sister and I aren't like that. I don't belive I need to fear a God to be loved my said God but of course my parents don't know this.

I passed the living room on the way to the kitchen and I see my Mum reading. I walk in and give her a hug.

"Morning mum" I say as I kiss her cheek.

"Morning sweetie. Chrisy is making pancakes today. Did you give her charger back to her?"

Ugh. Why do they always believe her? I'm the oldest and I don't lie. Mostly don't lie. They should be listening to me and actually trusting me.