19

We've been home for a week. Bev is in school and Brooke and I jump each other's bones each chance we get.

When we got back from New York, Bev chose a car. It's a prius and we're waiting for it to be shipped down. In the mean time, she's using my jeep. The audi went in for a service so we have no cars.

Brooke went out to get some groceries. I'm watching TV waiting for her to get back from shopping. She's been gone half an hour but traffic is bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It's been 2 hours and Brooke isn't back. Her phone is going to voicemail and I'm worried sick. If she's not back in half an hour I'm going to look for her or I'm going to the cops.

I'm sitting on the sofa, my leg bouncing up and down. I'm staring at the clock when I hear the door open. I jump up and see Brooke walk in the door.
Her eyes are red and she has a blue eye and a bruise on her cheek and neck. Her pants are ripped and so is her shirt.

Without hesitating I run and scoop her into my arms.
"What happened?"
She doesn't answer, just breaks down in tears in my arms. I pick her up and take her to our room and I lie down with her in my arms and cry.

After about 20 minutes of me going through worst possible scenarios, she finally told me what happened.

"I was on my way to the grocery store. I went and I got you a small gift first. Tryna be sweet. So I walked to the grocery store. And as I rounded that corner, someone pulled me into the alley. And it was dark and they tried to kiss me but I shoved them and then... Then they.. They grabbed my throat and shoved me against the wall and slapped me and then punched me and said "Shut up and take it." and I knew who it was. It was Cameron. Then she- she tried to rip my clothes off but I thought of you and how you'd leave me if it had happened and I pushed her and hit her and ran. I ran until I got here and I didn't stop until I knew I was safe. I'm sorry for letting it happen and - "
"No baby. This wasn't your fault. I'm sorry that this happened and I wasn't there to protect you. I'm sorry I failed you baby. It won't happen again. But I need to know, did she do anything. Sexually. Did she do anything like that?"
"No. She groped me but I fought my hardest to make sure that didn't happen for you."
"I'm proud of you for fighting. But you didn't do it for me. You did it for you. And when I find that bitch, I'm going to kill her for hurting you. I'm going to make her suffer for even touching you."
"No. What if she hurts you. What if you go to jail. No. Don't do it please. I'm begging."
"Okay but I will handle it."
"Thank you."
"I'm going to make a call. Order an Uber. Set it for the school." she nods her head and I go and phone my dad.

"Hey dad."
"Hey princess. It's been a week. Miss me that much?"
"Dad this is serious. I need a favor."
"What ya need?"
"I have a problem. Someone hurt Brooke and they need to be dealt with."
"I need a name."
"Cameron James. She's the ex. I don't care how you deal with it just deal with it."
"Okay. How's she doing?"
"I don't know. Bye."
I hung up and went to check on Brooke.
"Hey baby. You okay?"
"No I'm not. But it'll help to be with you. You make me feel safe." I went and hugged her.
"How about next week we take a trip. Anywhere you want to go."
"Okay."
"Did you call the Uber?"
"No phone. I dropped it somewhere."
"It's fine okay. Let's take a nap until your sister gets back from school okay?"
"Okay."

We jumped into bed and slept until Bev woke us up.
"Hey I want to go to a party later tonight. Can I go?"
"No. Thanks for waking us up but go put on some workout clothes. Meet us downstairs at in 20.", she looked confused but left us.

"Baby. Wake up."
"What?"
"Is that attitude?"
"No. You just woke me up from a nice dream that I was enjoying."
"I bet I was in it."
"Nope. It was about food."
"Go get dressed into some workout clothes."
"Why?"
"Just do it."

I pulled out some pants and a loose t-shirt. And went to wait for the sisters in the kitchen. 5 minutes later, they both came down.
"Keys please.", Bev threw me the keys.
"Let's go."
"Where we going?"
"You'll see when we get there Bev. Patience is a virtue."

We drove for another 20 minutes until we pulled up to a building.
"What is this place?"
"You'll see. Come on."

We go inside and I go to the reception.
"Hi. I'm here to sign up."
"Okay. Fill out these forms and we'll go from there. Are these 2 signing up as well?"
"Yes."
"Okay. Take these forms and fill them in."
"Are classes still every Monday, Wednesday and Friday?"
"6pm to 7 pm. How'd you know?"
As I'm about to answer, someone walks in.
"Kyoshi Amy Johnson in the flesh."
"Sensei Mark. A pleasure."
"As always. What are you doing here? I thought you didn't want to join us?"
"I didn't 4 years ago, but I need to now."
"Well blackbelt classes are the same days as normal but from 8 to 9 or 10. Kyoshi Alex runs then, but if you join, you could help."
"No. I probably forgot everything. I'm starting over. White belt. All 3 of us."
"You are a 5th degree black belt. You can grade to 6th and you want to drop 13 years of training."
"Yes."
"Okay. Fill out the forms Amy."
"Thank you Sensei."

The car ride back was silent.
"You are a blackbelt."
"I was a blackbelt. I'm now a white belt. Just like you two."
"My girlfriend can kick ass."
"Yes she can."
"You shouldn't have dropped your status."
"Why?"
"Cause I wanna say that I have sex with a teacher.", I laugh
"You're funny. I'll call Mark tomorrow and tell him."
"Okay."
"This is for the both of you, to learn to defend yourselves if I'm not there."
"Okay."