3

Today I start teaching. School goes in at 7am at comes out at 2pm but I have to be there at 6:30 and I can only leave after 2:30.
Its currently five in the morning and I just got out of the shower. I decided on wearing a black pencil skirt, a white blouse and heels. I let my hair fall down in curls and I have to say, I look good. It's odd because I feel confident today and I don't normally feel confident.

I grab a protein bar and walk to the jeep before making my way to the high school. If you told in high school me that I'd be excited to go to school in a few years time I would have laughed at you. I take a slow drive to the school and when I get there, I park right in the back before I get out and start walking into the massive building, and since it's 6:20, not alot of students are here.

I go to the secretary seated behind a mahogany desk. It's got pictures on it, all facing the secretary and a cute little plant which is obviously plastic.

"Hi, I'm Amy Johnson. The new English teacher." I say with my best smile.

"Oh yes. Mr Taylor did mention you were coming. I'm the secretary, Lindsey. If you need anything let me know. Your class is down the hall, take a right and third door on your left. Enjoy and welcome to Clarenlast high." she gave me a big smile, the warm friendly 'welcome' type. 

"Thank you Lindsey." I said and walked to my class. I teach seniors. I am 5 years older than them. This year is either going to go really well or not.

———

At 7 the first bell rang and people started waking into my class. I walked to the board and wrote my name on it to let the kids who pay attention figure out who I was. In high school there's the attentive kids and the kids who don't care which is really sad because it's their future they're jeopardising.

When everyone was seated I introduced myself and took attendance and I noticed one name missing, Beverly Wilson. When I asked where she was the class gave a collective shrug and went back to talking amongst themselves.

I stood up from my table to tell the class something when I heard a knock at my door before it was opened and saw someone who looked exactly like the girl who drove me home a few nights ago walk in.

This is either a new kid which is unlikely or Beverly. Strange how she looks like Brooke.

"I'm so sorry I'm late Ms. It's just my sister was supposed to drop me off today and something happened and yeah I'm sorry."

"I take it you Beverly Wilson?" she nodded "I'm Ms Johnson and I'm your homeroom and English teacher. It's fine, just don't make a habit of it okay? Come on let's get back inside."

"Alright class. Since this is my first year teaching you I obviously don't know any of you. So you all are going to introduce yourselves and say 2 things about you and I'll do the same."
I pointed to the boy in the corner and told him to go first.
"I'm Tyler White. I'm 17, I'm the Quarterback and I hate school."
This got half the class laughing. I just sighed. This went on until they got to the front row. I learnt alot about the class, who the serious ones were and who were just here to waste everyone's time.

"I'm Beverly Wilson, or Bev. I'm 17, I live with my sister and I love reading." I gave her a small smile and started to say something before someone interrupted me by screaming out "Nerd!"

"Who was that?" I asked in as cold a tone as I could manage but nobody answered
"I'll ask again, who was that. If this person doesn't answer, the whole class except Beverly has detention."
Tyler, the annoying quarterback lifted up his hand. "You have detention with the principal after school. Enjoy it."
The front row finished and I introduced myself.

"I'm Ms Johnson. I'm 22, I love reading, biology and sports and this is my first year as a teacher. You guys can ask me anything until the period is over."
I got all types of questions. "Are you single?", "what's your name?". Annoying.
"Yes I am single and I'm not telling you my name." the bell rang signaling the end of class.
"Beverly, can you stay please?" she nods and stays at her desk. I wait until the last person leaves before I speak. When she came in I noticed a bruise at the back of her neck.
"I'm sorry about that idiot." I offer her a small smile and she laughs a little which is good.

"It's fine, I've had it since I started here. I'm used to it." she shrugs it off as of bullying is nothing.

"I'm sorry but bullying is never okay. What happened to your neck of you don't mind me asking?"

Fear.
That's what crossed in her eyes when I mentioned her neck and that's never a good sign.
"Nothing. I better go, or I'm going to be late for class." I nod and give her a note incase she needs it.

The day drags on and I have a class at the end of the day. I notice Beverly is in this class. She walks in and sits where she sat in the morning. Right in the front. I introduce myself and give them some work while I sit and do some admin of my own until the bell rings and everone leaves.

At 2:30 I'm already out the door and on my way to my car. I have some tests to grade from a biology class. I teach biology and English because those are subjects I really love.

I'm almost by my car when I see none other than Beverly standing there. She should be home by now. Why is she still here? I drop the box off in my trunk and walk over to her.

"Beverly. What are you still doing here?"

"Oh hey Ms Johnson. I'm just waiting for my sister's girlfriend to pick me up." she's picking at her fingers and as a psychology major that tells me she's nervous or stressed about something. Maybe both.

"Do you need a ride?" I ask, trying to keep the conversation flowing.

"No here she comes." she says and points in the direction of the gate where an old Toyota drives through and pulls up next to us.
There is a large women in the car and she looks intimidating with her short hair and tattoos that cover her exposed arms.
"Get in the fucking car Beverly, you're making me late and I don't want to be late!" she's screams at Beverly who scrambles to run around the car and jump in.

Why is she screaming? It's only Beverly and I in the parking lot right now, most of the other students have left and the teachers are still in their classes.

"The fuck are you looking at?" she says to me. Her grammar annoys me but I don't correct her because she might just beat me up.

"Nothing, enjoy the rest of your day."
I walk towards my car, jump in and head home.

When I get home, I grade the tests and realise that I have a call with my sister today. I jump in the shower and put on pajamas and wait for her call.
About 20 minutes later, at 5, her call comes through on my laptop.

"Chrisy!" I scream, extremely excited to talk to her.

"Hey Sis. I have news. I'm moving to Cali. Mum and dad got me an apartment. They don't know that you live there but I managed to convince them to get me an apartment like 5 minutes from where you live. So my flight is tomorrow and I'll see you soon. Alright I gotta go. It's dinner. I love you!"
Woah. My sister living close to me. I haven't seen her in four years. Leave it to my sister to drop an absolute bomb like that before disappearing.

"You tell me now! You little shit! We need to talk about it more. I love you too. Bye"
I end the call.

My sister is moving to California. She's going to live 5 minutes away. I can't wait to see her.