Writing Consistent Characters

Inconsistent characters can ruin a book. It can frustrate the reader, blow the twist, ruin the flow, or any other number of negative reactions. Characters should react organically in every situation and have consistent characterization and arcs based on however it is you choose to write them. But what do you do when you have characters serving the plot, rather than the other way around? I'm talking about why inconsistent characters are bad news, and the choice you have to make if you have this problem. (Spoiler: Either way, you have to edit) Here are some questions that you can ask yourself that will help fix the issue.

by Alexa Donne

1. What does that character want?

2. How would any given character in your book organically react to something?

If you need them to respond in a certain way you have to change the character to fit the reaction to make the reaction organic, or you change the reaction. There's no other way around it. Either way, you have to make changes.

If you decide to keep whatever the inconsistency is, your job is going to be working breadcrumbs, essentially foreshadowing through that character so that reaction then makes sense. Essentially you're going to be doing a character arc edit.

3. Should you keep it or get rid of it?

Ask your beta readers to look for moments where something fell out of character.

4. How important is this thing to me, the plot, or the overall book?

Keep in mind that your characters shouldn't just be serving your plot — your plot should be serving your characters.