Ch. 30 - The Keys in the Code

Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln

***

November 5th

***

"Garcia, can you isolate the music at the end of the video?" I asked. We were in her lair and were making big breaks in the case for once. She started to isolate the audio and I felt a memory start to wiggle its way free. "That's Wiegenlied, it's a german lullaby. My mother used to sing it to me, but this is the music box version. Why would he..." I stood up and raced from the room. I heard Gracia yell after me, but I was already through the glass doors. Several faces turned to meet mine but I ran straight into my father's office. 

"Max, what's going on?" His 5 o clock shadow was turning into a rough beard. I paced back and forth as I continued to piece together things in my head. 

"What is the one thing that seems to be in the middle of all of their taunts and clues?" I asked as I continued pacing his small office. I had to keep moving to keep my mind stimulated. I hadn't stopped moving after watching one of them beat Beth. 

"Our families? The team?" His hesitant tone told me my pacing was making him uneasy. I paused and looked over at him, our eyes met for a moment before I turned away. 

"Close. They all point to one family. The family that holds the BAU together." I was scratching at my wrist since I couldn't pace. 

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" I nodded and he took in a large breath of air. 

"I need to put a message out there...on the darknet. If I'm right then they will walk right into our trap." He sat up and I saw a hint of hope return to his eyes. 

"How did you piece this together?" I hesitated and turned away. 

"Gather the team, we have a profile to deliver." I stood and made my exit before any other words could be passed. 

***

"Garcia, can you play the end of the video where the lullaby can be heard?" I asked as the team looked up at me. Spencer looked like he was an empty shell, and I had to peel my eyes from him to stay focused. I knew not to look at JJ. 

The lullaby played over again and the team jumped at the sound of the gunshot. I opened my mouth to launch into why this was important but another voice broke out first. 

"Why are you doing this Max?" Her broken voice caused me to glance over at her and I saw her red teary eyes looking up at me.

"Because that lullaby is 'Wiegenlied' it's German and my mother used to sing it to me. The BAU wasn't targetted. Just the family that has the longest lineage. The Eleven-Seven are targeting my father and I. Everyone else that was taken was done to throw us off. Otherwise, we would have seen this from the beginning. They have surveillance photos from when I was first pregnant, and from when Jack was only 3." Spencer's eyes snapped to mine and I wasn't sure what I saw in his eyes but I know I didn't like it. He stood up and started to leave the room. "Spencer..." He turned back to me and slammed his fist into the door. 

"I've got him...just do what you have too," Derek said as he stood. He gave me a reassuring smile before racing after Spencer. Who had thrown everything off his desk and was chucking things at the wall now. 

"How do we find them?" JJ asked, her eyes looked lighter. I smiled at her and nodded at my father. 

"I'm going to post an announcement on the darknet. They'll have no choice but to fall right into the rabbit hole. We profiled them as rampant narcissists and I have no doubt in my mind that we are right." I made my way to the door before turning back to look at them. "We have the upper hand now."