38

A knock sounded on the door, waking Damien and me at the same time. I had slept in his room last night to keep his company.

"Come in," Damien invited. I'm sure we were both expecting Nico to walk in. I sure knew I was, but- instead- my mother and father walked into the room. "Oh shit!"

Damien and I quickly sat up in awkward silence as my parents took in the sight of us, and I adjusted the sheet to make sure my breasts were covered now that I was sitting up.

"I invite you into my home, give you a job, help you escape your past, and you-" my dad angrily got out before my mother cut him off.

"We can deal with this later, love," my mother said. "Right now we need to talk about what we came here to talk about."

My father pushed the door open and yelled, "Sagacity, to your room now!"

I quickly picked up my gown, slipped into it, and scurried out of Damien's bed and rushed for my room, blush on my cheek from the embarrassment of getting caught with Damien. At least I had slept with my underwear on, but it was still embarrassing, nonetheless. I knew I eventually would have to tell my parents about our relationship, but I didn't want them to find out this way.

I knew when my father was this angry, nothing good would come out of it.

Half an hour later

A soft knock sounded on my door, and I invited the person in. In came my mother with a stern look on her face and Nico trailing behind her.

"I never expected you'd be the type to sneak around with a boy," Mother lectured as she stared at me. She then turned her direction to Nico and said, "I never expected you to allow her to nor to cover things up for her. Your father and I are disappointed in you both. The only reason why he isn't here right now is because he needs to cool off before he says or does something stupid. We understand you two are technically adults now, which is why we're even more disappointed. What you both did was stupid and very dangerous. Your father, Uncles, Nathan, Kendall, and I are all protective over who you, your cousins, and Natalie date because we know that there are still people out there that will try to get close to you both in order to get either money, power, or simply the Mafia's attention through kidnapping you. We've told you all of our struggles- not to scare you- but to make you aware that there are dangerous and manipulative people out there."

I argued, "But we know Damien. He's not dangerous. He wouldn't-"

"That isn't the point," Mother shook her head. "You both need to be careful. Doing silly shit like sneaking around and covering for each other can get you both killed. Besides, Damien's past makes him dangerous even if he isn't the type to intentionally hurt someone. Someone tried to kill him a few days ago. People have traced down his entire family and killed them. Imagine if they found out you two were dating."

"Are," I mumbled as I stared down at the floor.

Nico brought up, "You're with dad even though he's one of the most dangerous people on this planet."

"Yeah, how is that any different than-" I got out before my dad entered the room.

"It is very different. I know how to protect-" he got out before I cut him off.

"Yeah like mom getting shot, getting kidnapped, going into a coma, losing a-" I got out before my dad angrily walked over to me, and I shut up immediately.

I expected him to yell at me, but he instead took a deep breath before saying, "That proves my point even more. You're not supposed to live the same lives your mother and I lived. The sacrifices we made to make sure you had a great life cannot go to waste over a silly crush."

"So what happens to Damien now?" Nico asked. "Is he kicked out of and banned from visiting the house because he has feelings for Sa? Is he fired from work too?"

Mother answered, "Those sound like lovely solutions. Thank you for the suggestions."
Nico and I huffed in response after Nico took a seat beside me.

Nico shrugged, "He's still my best friend, you know."

"And he's still my boy-" I got out before my father cut me off.

"Well, we'll find out how long distance relationships work because neither of you are allowed to leave the house either. Damien is going into hiding for a few months and won't be able to contact either of you as well," Father said. "As we speak, he's packing his bags."

I crossed my arms and shook my head in disbelief. "This isn't fair," I pouted as my eyes began to water.

"It's for the best," Mom said while brushing my hair back. "Besides you both having to stay inside, this isn't a punishment. It's to protect Damien. He'll have to hideout until we find out who's after him and take care of the person or people."

"Will we ever get to see him again?" I asked, a tear simultaneously escaping my left eye.

Mom sighed, "After the threat dies down, we'll talk about that. For now, try not to think about it."

"Will we at least get to say goodbye?" Nico asked.

"You have five minutes or less before his ride gets here," Father answered

Nico and I both left the room, leaving our parents alone to talk about whatever they had to say to each other. Damien was already sitting in one of the couches in the living room with his bags packed, but he stood when he saw us walking to him.

"I'm sorry, man," Nico said while dapping Damien. "They don't sound like their mind is changing at anytime."

Damien had a sad look on his face as he nodded, "I understand. I'd have to go into hiding regardless of whether I got caught with Sagacity. I'm just sorry I got you in trouble."

Nico shook his head, "Nah, it's fine. I'd do it again."

Damien exhaled a quick breath while shaking his head before looking at me. "Shit, don't cry, City," he said while wrapping me into a hug, and the tears I was holding back immediately started to flow down my cheeks.

"I don't want you to go," I sniffled.

He nodded, "I know. I don't wanna go either." I held him tightly, and he held me even tighter in his arms as I cried. "Please stop crying, beautiful." I nodded while sniffling and trying to stop my tears, and we slowly pulled away from the hug. "Make sure y'all tell the gang I said goodbye and that I'll miss them."

Nico and I nodded with sadness written all over our faces as my parents came downstairs.

"Your ride is out front," my dad said without any hint of sadness in his voice. How could he be so cold?

"Alright, take care you two," Damien said to Nico and me. He and Nico dapped one more time before hugging each other, and then Damien gave me a final hug.

He whispered in my ear, "I'll always love you, City, but it's okay to move on if I'm not back soon."

"No," I shook my head while pulling away from the hug.

"Yes," he nodded before kissing my forehead. My dad then grabbed his luggages, and the two proceeded through the door.