02

"I need you to fill out these forms," Simon said once Kayden had returned with his coffee. "So I know where to mail the paycheck."

Kayden took the forms and walked over to his tiny office. He was thankful it was a room away from Simon and that it had its own door and lock. As soon as he sat down he began to fill out the papers and discreetly ate the scone he bought with Simon's card.

He didn't want to give his boss the satisfaction of using his money, especially since he knew that Simon would probably gloat about it. He'd only known his new boss for an hour and he could tell that the man would be a handful.

If the pay wasn't so good and he didn't need to pay for an apartment, Kayden would've flipped him off and strutted out of the room.

"Can I steal a minute of your time?" Simon asked, making Kayden jump and fall out of his chair. "Sorry."

Kayden huffed, brushing scone crumbs off of him as he stood up, accidentally knocking his papers off the desk in the process. "Knocking is what most people do when they want attention," he snapped, grabbing the papers and sitting back down in his seat. "What do you want?"

"You know I'm your boss, right?"

Kayden raised an eyebrow. "If you wanted to fire me, you would've done it already," he said in a flat voice, finishing filling out his papers. "Here, these are done."

Simon took the papers. "I need you to book me a table at The Capital Grille for eight people at six thirty please," he said, handing a sticky note to Kayden. "This is the number for the restaurant's manager for the best table, and I have to take a very important call and I'd appreciate if you didn't eavesdrop."

"I don't eavesdrop!" Kayden exclaimed, his eyes narrowed in anger. "I've been working here all of one hour and you're already accusing me of shit!"

Simon smirked. "Just like you didn't use the elevator?"

"Do you have cameras in it?" Kayden demanded to know, and he just got a flirtatious wink in response. "Creep."

"Just don't eavesdrop, babe," Simon said, taking Kayden's papers. "And you're joining us for dinner."

"Why?"

"You're my errand boy. I need you to be there to hear what I'm hearing in case I miss something."

Kayden scrunched his face up in disgust. "No. I'm your worker from nine to four, but after that I get to go home," he said, turning to the computer in his office and scheduling the table at The Capital Grille. "There, table for seven."

Simon sighed, annoyed. "Fine, now I'm going to go have my call, but in the future there will be lunch meetings I expect you to attend," he said, but it was clear Kayden didn't feel intimidated. "There's some files in that box by your desk and I want you to alphabetize them."

"Whatever," Kayden said, wincing as Simon slammed the door to his tiny office. "Your dinner is at seven because they don't have a six thirty and you seem to be a half an hour late for everything anyway, so I hope you make it on time."

Kayden had to be tough; he was on his own now and he had to take care of himself, and if it meant giving his boss attitude and standing up for himself, he'd do it. As a kid he often let people walk all over him, but he couldn't afford to do that now that he didn't have anyone to run home to.

Simon couldn't understand why Kayden was such a pain. None of the other demons had found their soulmates yet... but Alastor said they'd be able to feel the connection... or at least be attracted to their demon, but according to Kayden, he was straight!