Wizengamot and the W.A.A.

A/N - Please be aware that what follows will not hold true to JK Rowling's epilogue. Do not try to correct me, because I know. Thank you.

~

Yet again, Lilli found herself stepping before the Wizengamot, this time with a stack of papers in her arms. Dressed in an emerald pantsuit with the emblem of St Mungo's across her heart (Thia had gotten her a job as a liaison, primarily representing the orphans), she felt much more terrified than she had when she was defending Draco. Because this time, she was presenting her own ideas.

"Welcome," Kingsley Shacklebolt smiled down at her, "State your name and occupation, for the record."

"Elliana Rose Potter, liaison for St Mungo's Wizarding Hospital, representing the orphans of the Second Wizarding War." She could see some of the older members flinch and scowl at her mention of the war. They'd all had quite enough of it over the past few years.

"Begin when you're ready." She nodded, taking a deep breath.

"The Second Wizarding War had seventy-eight casualties," Lilli began, looking among the faces, "Of that seventy-eight, twenty-one were parents. Ten of those were single parents or parents from one household, and that left twenty-three children without a home. Five of them were able to move in with an of-age sibling or relative, but the rest were sent to St Mungo's.

"We do not have the staff nor the capacity to continue carrying for these children in a way that will benefit them. They are already suffering from being in this environment for two years. We need a new strategy."

"And what do you propose, Miss Potter?" Elphias Doge asked, raising one hairy eyebrow at her. 

"An adoption and foster care system," Lilli said firmly, meeting his eyes, "Like the Muggles have. Orphanag-"

An uproar for the older members drowned her out. She waited, her eyebrows raised politely, until they had settled down. Two men were turning purple in the face.

"We are separate from the Muggles for a reason," one of them snarled down at her, "Are you insinuating that they have a better system than us?"

"Sir Blishwick," Lilli said matter-of-factly, "We have just fought a war because of attitudes like that. I would correct yourself now.

"As for your query, yes, that is exactly what I am insinuating. Muggles have long since realised that orphanages do more harm than good for children. So they constructed a system for children to be sent to live with a foster family, people who chose to care for the child, until such time as the child is adopted or ages out."

"I hear your reasons, Miss Potter, but how can this be viable in the long run? What person would willingly watch another's child for years, and pay their expenses?" Doge asked, "Our economics has taken quite a beating."

"Remus Lupin and Helianthia Simmons did. Molly Weasley would have, if she could. Sirius Black would have. It is not a question of willingness, Mister Doge, but of ability. As for the child's expenses, every foster family would receive a stipend to cover expenses."  Another uproar. Kingsley raised a hand to silence them, then nodded for her to continue, "If each family were to receive ninety-one galleons a week per child, that would still be less than St. Mungo's pays to house, feed, clothe, and educate them now.

"I would not be here before you today if I didn't feel this was necessary. These children are our future. If we don't care for them, if we don't provide for them, then we have no future. Thank you."

~

"How did it go?" Luna asked, twirling a sunflower between her fingers. Lilli sighed, flopping into the seat beside her. This was becoming tradition for the two of them, to spend the anniversary of the Battle together.

"It went, I suppose," she rubbed a hand over her face, "They dithered over expenses as if children's wellbeing can have a price put on it. In the end, Kingsley excused me and said he would get back to me about it. How was Norway?"

"No sign of a crumple-horned Snorkack, I'm afraid. Although I did happen across a Gulping Plimpy nest and got some excellent pictures," A proud smile crossed her face. Lilli laughed, ignoring the now-familiar tug in her chest.

Two long years since she had come to terms with her feelings for Luna, and still they had not faded. For a while, part of her was keeping true to what she had told Draco, that she would tell Luna when he told Harry. But that didn't work anymore, as Draco had confessed while he, Lilli, and Harry were out getting drunk (Lilli wasn't, but someone had to keep an eye on those two). It hadn't gone well, really, since Harry was drunk and angry at the world, but he had told him.

And she knew it would hurt a lot less if she got it over with and told her. Wasn't that what Ginny had told her two years ago, under the birch tree at the Burrow?

"Elliana? You've fallen down your rabbit hole again," Luna said, blue eyes slightly concerned, "What's wrong?"

Lilli shook herself, "Nothing, Luna. It's nothing."

~

"Five years." Silence fell over the room as everyone turned toward the Boy-Who-Lived, standing at the podium of Malfoy Ball Room. Draco and Narcissa had graciously offered to host the Anniversary Ball. "Five years since the Battle of Hogwarts. Since we said goodbye to our loved ones."

Harry looked around at the crowded room, meeting Lilli's eyes from where she sat with two kids on her lap, "Five years since we were left to create a new normal, but that was harder for some than others. Hardest, I think, for the orphans the war left behind. 

"I'd like to invite my sister, Elliana Potter, to take the stand at this time." There was a slow beginning to the applause, the audience clearly surprised at the shortness of Harry's speech. Lilli stood, setting the girl down to walk beside her as she lifted Teddy into her arms. Harry grinned at her as she took his place, scooping Teddy from her when the boy asked.

"Thank you, Harry," she took a deep breath, glancing out at the sea of faces, "My name is Elliana Potter. Some of you may know me from Hogwarts or St. Mungo's. Others only know the rumours from the Daily Prophet." 

The audience chuckled, and Lilli looked down at the girl, brushing hair from her face, "It's been five years since the fighting ended, that's true. But for many, the war isn't over. For the children I work with, every day is a new battle. And for two years, it was even harder, because they couldn't receive the one-on-one attention that they needed.

"It's been three years since the Wizarding Adoption Agency was formed. It began with eighteen children, ranging from six months to sixteen years old. Of those eighteen, fifteen have found permanent homes. The W.A.A. now has forty-two children in foster homes across the U.K., and sister-agencies in three other countries."

Lilli waited until the applause died down, "Some of you may be wondering why I have two children up here with me. Both of them are orphans from the war, one my own godson, Teddy Lupin, and the other my foster-daughter, Avery Rose. They both asked to be up here with me tonight, to support me in something they may not fully understand, but that they are excited about nonetheless."

Avery tugged her arm, whispering something in her ear, and Lilli laughed, "But apparently, they've had enough of the limelight now. Thank you for your time." Teddy reached for her again, so she took him from Harry, guiding Avery back to their seats.

"Well done, Ana," Draco said, pulling back Avery's chair for her. The seven-year-old blushed, and Lilli chuckled.

 "Thanks, Dray. Now, how many more speeches do we have to sit through?"