Chapter 14

"How did you do?" Mia asks.

I stare at the midterm in my hands, crushed.

"Not good," I tell her. Grimacing, I stuff the test in my bag and try to clear my mind.

"Aw," she says, wrapping me in a hug. "It's okay, girl. It was hard. You know what you should do?" She pulls back and looks at me. "Get that boyfriend of yours to blow your back out tonight until you forget about this stupid ass class."

I force a smile. "Sorry to disappoint but there will be no backs being blown out tonight. We're both so busy I haven't even seen Zack since Monday."

"Then find another guy for the night," she says simply.

This brings a laugh out of me. "What? No!"

"Just do it, girl. No one has to know."

"You're funny," I say.

"I know, right. Yet somehow I'm single," she says, flipping her hair. "Seriously, though. I'm going out tonight if you wanna come."

"Isn't it Thursday?"

"So?" She leans forward. "If I'm there, it's always a party."

I laugh. "I do want to get out of my dorm for the night... Pregame in your room?"

"As always," she says. "Leave it all to me. You'll be drunk off your ass before we even leave the room."

---

Well, she was not wrong.

It's barely 11 and my vision is already deliciously blurry. Mia sings while slurring her words as our arms clasp around each other. We haven't even arrived at the party yet but I threaten to fall with every other step.

"I love you sooo much," Mia says. "You're so hot."

"I am kinda hot," I say then a burst of giggles escapes me.

Katy stands between us, the designated mom for tonight. Her roommate, Yvonne, holds Mia up but it only lasts a second before Mia escapes her grasp and runs next to me.

"Hell yeah you are! Look at me! Let me swim in those ocean eyessss," Mia says.

"My eyes are brown," I pout.

She doesn't respond, just slings her arm tighter around me. Her hand grazes my boob.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry," Mia mutters. "Sorry. Sorry. They're so cute. I just wanted to touch it."

"What the fuckkkk," I say but my voice gets caught in my laughs. "Ugh, are we there yet?"

"There!"

We enter the house: Mia, me, Katy, then Yvonne. Mia pushes people away to get to the center.

"Excuse me!" she shouts, forcing her way through as she holds my hand. "Move!"

"Sorry," I apologize for her. People shoot us glares as Mia steps on their feet. "Sorry!"

"Stop apologizing!" Mia demands. "They don't deserve your niceness! Come here!"

Her arms wrap around me and her hips move to a beat that doesn't match the music. I start moving with her. Everything is black except the rainbow LEDs on the wall. My left hand reaches out to touch one.

Suddenly, instead of a hand, my right palm is grasping at air. I feel Katy peel my fingers off of hers and she starts to disappear into the crowd with Yvonne.

"Katy?" She doesn't turn back around. "Katy, wait!"

"I need to pee!" Mia announces.

She drags me with her to the bathroom, shockingly strong for such a small person. Then again, it's not like my drunk self is able to put up much of a fight. I try to search for Katy and Yvonne as we trudge through the crowd but I can't find them anywhere.

I sit outside the bathroom to guard the door for Mia. As I'm sitting, my eyes turn fuzzy. Everything is rainbow and the overwhelming urge to close my eyes and sleep right there envelopes me. I try to keep them open but my eyelids are sticky.

Maybe if I stand up, it'll be better. Using my hands, I attempt to lift myself off the floor.

The door opens and Mia stumbles out like a block of color. I inhale deeply, get up, and try to balance her with my left arm. With my right hand, I scramble for my phone and dial Zack's number.

No answer.

"Come on," I mumble to Mia. "We should find Katy and Yvonne."

She mutters something incoherent. I continue to crane my neck to search the crowd for Katy's blond hair but everything is too distorted for me to even see.

"Mia, we should find Katy!" I say.

"She's with Yvonne. Not even drunk!" Mia replies. "She had zero shots. ZERO."

I dial Zack's number again and wait for an answer. It goes to voicemail but I don't leave one.

A sigh escapes me and I decide to just let her dance. Just for a minute. She looks too happy to stop.