Chapter 39

When I wake up from an hour of sleep, my head is aching from staring up at the light all night. As I lay in bed, I feel lightheaded. My breathing is shallow and rapid as I wipe at my lips, trying to forget the feeling of his lips molded against mine.

Is it my fault? Did I lead him on? Why did I go to his room alone?

I skip my second class.

What am I going to tell Zack?

The phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Hey, where are you?"

"In my room."

My voice sounds normal when I speak.

"Are you busy? I wanna see you before practice."

I breathe slowly. "I'm not busy."

"Ok. I'll see you soon."

I take off the covers of my bed and slip on my shoes to walk to the bathroom and wash my face. My chest clenches nervously as I walk through the halls, my eyes surveying the area.

I wait for Zack on the edge of my bed. There's a knock on the door. I peep through the keyhole before opening the door.

"Hey." His face breaks into a wide smile as he enters. His lips brush against my cheek. "I missed you."

I feel my lips lift up. "I missed you, too. How was it?"

"It was amazing," he says wistfully. "How was everything here?"

"Good."

"Good." He stares at me, his smile fading a bit. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," I say. "I'm just a little tired."

"Did you eat yet? We can grab something really quick."

"I'm not really hungry."

He pauses. I can tell he's becoming worried so I force a smile.

"I had a big lunch," I add.

"Okay," he says. "How was your week? Miss me a lot?"

A light laugh comes out. "Yeah right."

"What did you do all week?"

"Nothing special," I say. My brain searches for a way to change the subject. "Do you wanna watch TV?"

"Sure."

He sits on top of my bed as I pull out my laptop and sit next to him. Not a cell in me moves as his arm slings around me and the movie starts to play. I can't focus on the movie. Instead, I try to focus on the sound of his heartbeat against his chest.

I can't tell him now. He just got back and needs to rest. Once I process everything, then I'll tell him the truth.

A/N: I just want to make it clear that it is never the survivor's fault. Amelia's thoughts are her internal dialogue, not my personal views. Thank you for reading and stay safe.