6

MASK ON
—6. Uneducated Idiots

  It was her break before class and Alex was standing in the hallway alone, waiting for Kaden since they usually walked to class together

Just then, she turned, watching as a girl she was told was named Samantha walked over to her.

"Alex, was it?" Samantha asked enthusiastically and Alex nodded her head, "I'm Samantha. Why aren't you with your friends?"

"What friends?" Alex asked, a confused look on her face.

"Oh, you know, MAN. Max, Abby, and Norah. I've seen you hanging out with them lately," She explained and Alex scoffed loudly.

"They aren't my friends. You have me mixed up with my sister. The only one I somewhat like Max, since she's my neighbor and all," Alex informed Samantha, who nodded in understanding.

Samantha smiled slightly, eying Alex up and down. "Alex, what are you?" She suddenly asked in a tone Alex knew to be a fake one, "You're so, like, exotic looking."

"Excuse me?" Alex frowned, a part of her looking offended.

"Oh, I didn't mean anything by it. I just mean—" Samantha began to say, only to be cut off when Kaden walked over to them.

"Samantha..." Kaden trailed off, wrapping his arm around Alex, "Get lost, would you?"

Samantha glanced between Kaden and Alex, a part of her looking judging since she knew Kaden had a girlfriend who had graduated from their school the year before and was now in college.

She forced herself to smile, turning to look at Alex. "We should hang out sometime. Just text me if you're interested."

"Not likely," Alex bluntly responded and Samantha walked away, trying to hide her annoyance, "She called me exotic and then has the audacity to ask me to hang out. What the hell is wrong with her?"

"A lot, obviously," Kaden replied, smiling as he turned to face her fully while grasping her hand with his, "I had fun last night."

"Yeah, me too," Alex replied, nodding her head.

"I was wondering if you wanted to do something else tonight?" he suggested, earning a smile from Alex, "I know we just hung out last night, but since I didn't join any extracurriculars this year, I have nothing going on, so..."

"I'd love that," She told him, smiling widely.

Alex was about to say something else when she felt someone bump into her. She turned and frowned, finding it to be Marcus, who had purposely bumped into her when he walked past her.

"Do you mind?" She snapped at him with an attitude and Marcus smiled without a care in the world.

"Catch ya later, kid," He told her teasingly, briefly glancing at Kaden before he walked away.