Ch. 55, Oh No, Rhino

Rell

Cat and I ran through the forest.

It was too far to try and return to her car. Instead, we ran towards the lake house. The sun was now fully gone, the Blood Moon casting the forest in a pale, red light. The chilling noise of the beast's howl had faded away, but now every tiny sound in the dark forest made me flinch, every shadow seeming to hide something horrible. I carried my knife clutched tightly in my hand, though I wasn't sure what I would do if a Beast appeared.

I couldn't kill Lorcan or Bastien. And now that the Blood Moon was full in the sky, there were two beasts running free in the woods.

Finally we tumbled out of the forest and onto a cleared lawn of a massive house built right alongside the lake. Far away it had looked quaint and cozy, but up close I saw it was three stories tall, with white columns in the front and an elegance that seemed at odds with the music pounding inside. An odd collection of abandoned cans were scattered around the lawn, and teenagers gathered in circles, laughing and holding bright red cups, lit from the golden light spilling out of arched windows.

It would have been a charming scene, if not for the darkness of the woods, and the knowledge of what roamed the forest tonight.

"We need to think of a way to get them all inside." I watched a couple stroll hand in hand into the forest. "Right now."

Cat was breathing hard from our forest dash, an angry red mark across her cheek, but she swallowed and said, "I could tell them the cops are here? But then they'd all leave."

"No, we need something to keep them all inside. So the Beasts..." I trailed off and I saw from the way her mouth set that she understood. So the Beasts don't accidentally kill one of them.

"Okay," she finally said. "I can find whoever's playing the music and play something over the speaker.... But what do I say?"

I paused when suddenly, high overhead, Poxel's consciousness brushed the edge of my mind.

Poxel? Poxel are you there?

Rell! His voice was both panicked and relieved. Lorcan need help! Lorcan become Beast!

What happened?

He and Bastien talk with Blood Rose, but it trick them! Keep them talking till sunset!

I tried to process this. So they had found the Blood Rose, which meant it was close. But Lorcan had failed to close the realms. Which meant everyone here was in danger. First things first.

Poxel, come to the lakeside house. We need you!

He sent an image of some sort of large-eyed bird, flying silently but swiftly over the forest, the lights of the lake house growing wider in his vision.

"Okay, I've got a plan," I said to Cat. Then I leaned into her, whispered a few quick instructions, and she nodded and rushed into the house.

Poxel flew closer, and I turned my full focus to him, wanting to make sure I got this right.

What need me to do? He sent down to me, a silent, wide-winged bird coming to land on a tree above me.

I need you to scare all of these students back inside the house.

He sent me back confusion. How?

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I need you to become a rhinoceros.