Chapter 1- Tara Matthews

Tara's POV

It is 5 in the morning. It is the opening day of Tara's and the first day of my new life. I take a deep breath and step in. I start preparing all the cakes and pastries for the day. The bell rings and I see Grace walk in. She greets me with a sleepy smile 'Good morning, Tara! Nervous?' 'Very' I replied 'It's going to be fine, Tara. You are an amazing baker and I'm sure this bakery is going to be a hit so chill' I was not hoping for my bakery to be a big hit. I just hope everything goes smoothly. I really don't have the energy for any drama. Grace starts helping me bake and preps the coffee. I put on the open sign and wait for my first customer. I nervously tap my feet on the floor, gazing desperately at the door. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. What was I thinking?

I have zero experience in running a bakery. I have no idea what I am doing. Just because I have been baking since I was a little girl doesn't mean I can run a bakery. Before I can stop myself, I'm spiraling. 'Oh, God! Tara, will you just calm down. It's just 7.30 it's going to take some time for people to come' Grace says when she sees me getting jittery. 'Yeah! Yeah, you're right. I'm fine. It's all going to be fine ...just fine. I exclaimed tapping my fingers on the glass counter. She just sighs and shakes her head. 'What?! I can't help it' I say defensively and she gives up on trying to relax me.

I decide to wipe the tables once more to distract myself. Just when I'm done, I hear the bell ring. I turn around to see my new neighbor. 'Good morning Dr. Watson! Good morning Rosie!' I cooed at the little girl who skipped into the shop holding her father's hand. 'Good Morning Tara' She runs to me and I pick her giving her a warm hug 'Good Morning Tara and please just call me John. I think we know each other enough to be on a first-name basis.' 'Alright, John! What can I get for you?' 'two earl greys, one hot cocoa and muffin for Rosie... oh, and a loaf of sourdough bread.' 'Will be right up' I place the little girl on her feet and get to work. 'Are you working alone? Where is Grace?' John asked looking around 'Oh no. She is at the back. We haven't finished baking yet.' 'okay' 'Here you go' I give John his order 'How much do I owe you?' 'Don't worry John. It's on the house' 'No way! Today is your first day and It looks like I'm your first customer. Now tell me how much do I owe you?' I throw my hands up in surrender 'Alright! It's 8.50' 'Good' he hands me the cash 'Thanks for coming John. It means a lot.' 'Are you kidding me? Rosie wouldn't have let me miss it for the world.' I grab the giggling little girl and kiss her cheek 'Thank you sweet cheeks' 'Welcome, TM' 'I'll see you later John. Bye Roro' 'Have a Great Day Tara!' 'Bye Tara' with that the doctor and his little girl were gone.

I have known John and Rosie since I first moved into Baker Street 221C three months ago. I was instantly drawn to the little girl. She has been the taste tester to all my recipes. She has quite the sweet tooth. John and Mrs. Hudson have been very warm and welcoming. Sherlock is still a little weird around me but that's alright.

It has been very scary for me. Moving to a new place, opening my own bakery, starting a new life. I don't know many people in London, just Mrs. Hudson, Sherlock, John, Rosie, and Grace, and I honestly so glad I have them. They have made everything so much more bearable, well everyone except for Sherlock. I like hanging around with them, it's fun. I especially love babysitting little Rosie, when Sherlock and John take off on cases. That little girl just melts my heart.

People have been coming in. I guess Grace was right, Tara's is a hit. I hope it goes on like this. It has been a long day. Grace and I close up. I was exhausted. I head home and fall into my bed. 

Hey Guys! If you like it so far please vote, follow and comment. I am open to your feedback and ideas. I'll be posting regularly so if you want to continue reading it don't forget to add it to your library and your reading list. :)

Thank you for reading :)