Chapter 39- Promises of the Past and Present

Drunk:

'You're drunk' he teased her.

'I'm drunk. Shushhhhhh' Tara shushed him and laughed.

'You're really drunk' he laughed.

'You're really drunk' she accused.

'Sure. Now let's get you home before you throw up on me' he said before holding her up.

'Okay' she exclaimed and threw her arms up.

He picked her up and made her sit on the passenger seat of his car.

'I am James Bond' she said throwing her arms out, blocking his view of the road.

He pushed her hand out of his face 'You've said a lot of stupid, weird things but that was horrifying' he told her.

'I am the star of every scene in my life' she explained.

'Great!'

'I am. My name literally means 'Star of the Eye''

'Yup. It does' He laughed.

'Hey, Sareen! Why are you doing this?'

'Because I am a really good gentleman. You're really drunk.'

'Not that stupid. This. Always taking care of me.'

'You're stupid and reckless, and I care about you. I love you' he said glancing at her before fixing his gaze back on the road

'I'm sorry. I took the bet.'

'You're always trying to prove yourself. That your better than everyone, better than every man in the room....'

'I have to' She cuts him off. 'I am always the only woman in the room. I have to be thrice as good as any man for them to even consider me as an equal.' She explained herself. He stopped the car and turned towards her.

'But you already are so much better than any of those men. Why go through the trouble?'

'I'm a dreamer, Sareen. I'm like a kite. I fly and fly, and you are my string. You hold me in place and don't let me get lost in the wind.'

'What happens if the string breaks?' he asked softly.

'Tell your stupid string maintenance department, to take good care of the string. The string can't break, it can't break, it can't break, it can't break, it can't break,......' She scolded hitting his chest.

'Okay! Okay! Okay! Okay! The string won't break. I'll tell them.' he said stopping her.

'Promise you?' she slurred.

'You mean 'promise me'?' he chuckled.

'Yeah that. Do that'

'I promise you. I won't let you go. I'll always be there for you. Always.'

.......

Grace and Tara walk on the street after work, talking about new recipes they could try to pull in new customers. Her phone rings. It was Mycroft. She ignores it and continues to talk to Grace. Grace stops, Tara stops to look at what happened. Mycroft was standing in front of them, leaning on his umbrella and his phone in his free hand.

He was upset she could see it in his eyes, yet she turns around and walks away.

'TARAAAA' he wasn't yelling, his voice was stern but it had a similar effect.