Cₕₐₚₜₑᵣ ₀.₁

-Alluka-

I cracked open my eyes as the blinding light flooded through my eyes causing me to blink several times. "Alluka?" A voice called out. Turning my head to the side I saw a concerned looking Momma. "Are you feeling alright? You collapsed after that stunt you pulled," Momma informed. I hastily sit up remembering the sight of the unmoving corpse of my father.

"Alluka! You need to stay in bed!" Momma said. "Where is he?!" I shouted. Sorrow filled Momma's eyes. Just from the look alone I could tell that he was gone from this world, though I denied every thought that clouded my mind. "He is not gone is he? He's fine, right?" I insisted, "He should be alive, right? Right? He's strong!"

My eyes searched all over Momma's hunched over figure to see if she was bluffing. Unfortunately, She wasn't. "Momma..." I softly asked, "Where is he," She sniffed a small sob. "Your father is gone, Alluka." Momma told me, "I'm sure he's doing just fine now that he's up there," Momma pointed to the ceiling. Uncontrollable tears started streaming down my face as she delivered the news. Next thing I knew both of us had tears rolling down both of our faces. Momma started rubbing small circles as tears also streamed down her face. "It'll be okay," She mumbled, trying to reassure me that everything was going to be fine.

"It'll be okay,"

-

The next day, Momma made a small funeral for Papa, burying him near the end of the backyard. I stayed staring at the mount of dirt that had Papa who was six feet under. It wasn't until lunchtime when Momma told me it was time to come inside and eat lunch. The atmosphere wasn't as happy as it was before, instead was tense and sad when Momma looked over to the empty seat where Papa would sit when he would eat.

The next few weeks had been the worst for Momma. After the death of Papa, Momma had to take the responsibility to tend to the fields, go buy and sell items, and make breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the both of us, all while trying to take care of me as well. I tried to not bother her as much, but I couldn't help but ask her for some things.

"Momma, can we play today?" I asked.

"Sorry dear. Momma has a lot of work to do today. Maybe later,"

"What about we go on a nature hunt!"

"Sorry, Alluka. Momma is just too busy,"

The next day I asked again, "Momma, can we go buy sweets?"

Momma sighed, "Alluka, please understand that Momma has a lot of work that will be piled up if it doesn't get finished in time," I frowned, "Then what about when we go to the shopping district we can buy sweets then!" Once again Momma sighed, "Very well. When Momma is free then we can go to the shopping district," I jumped happily in triumph and made my way over to my bedroom where all my toys were until Momma called for me to get ready.

It wasn't until after we ate dinner Momma told me to go change and get ready to go the the shopping district. I bounced happily to my room and changed into a dark kimono that Momma had bought a while ago before papa's death. When I walked into the living room, Momma stared at me for awhile until she shifted her gaze outside. "We should get going before it turns too dark," I nodded as I put on my own shoes, while she put on her own.

Once we stepped outside, the smell of the trees and nature filled my nostrils. It was a calming scent to me. Papa would always take me on walks whenever I would feel down. "Take my hand, dear. Wouldn't want you to get lost in the woods," Momma took my hand in hers and she led me to the familiar path to the village nearby.

"Momma, can we get daifuku?" I asked. "Daifuku? Of course we can get daifuku," the older female approved, "I'm sure the old lady would love to give you some daifuku. You are one of the regulars at her stalls," I beamed at the thought of being able to get some sweets. "Anything is better if it was sweet!" I smiled. "Oh really? Does this mean your gaining a sweet tooth?" Momma teased, sending me a small smile, "If you keep asking to buy sweets, then I'm not sure if I can afford to buy so much,"