Chapter 26

Sage

I woke up to a soothing aroma of cheeseburgers? I opened my eyes slightly and saw the room was dimly lit and I was alone. My eyes went to the bedside chest where I saw a small compact moving trolley with food placed on a chaffing dish. I sat up and removed the lid shifting it closer to me and there was the cheeseburger with fries. Wow who brought it in here, Carlos? I thought. Now the fragrance is making me hungry but I need to brush my teeth first before I dig in, I looked at the time its 2p.m. I did sleep, a lot. After he left, I don't know how sleep caught me, I guess like my mom used to say when I was younger and couldn't sleep because of the voices I hear whenever Dad's associates were home "just close your eyes princess and don't open them till morning" and that used to work. Eventually I used to fell asleep, like today I just kept my eyes closed when he ordered me to sleep and eventually sleep took over.

I pulled my leg but the tug on the right one made me let out grunt. I really need my ankle to be not surrounded by metal now. Its really itching and burning my skin. When will he come inside? I don't even have a cellphone that I can call him. What if he is not in the house? That thought brought a rush of panic thinking I might be tied up the whole day. Shall I call him? How will he know that I am awake? Maybe he has cameras here too, I rolled my eyes at the thought. I waited for him to come for another fifteen minutes but no one came so I finally gathered the courage to call him.

"S-Sir??" My voice was too meek to cross the door. I drank some water to ease up my dry throat and tried again "S-Sir? A-are yo-you th-there?"

I heard a knock instead "Signora, you said anything?" That's Carlos, no I don't want him to enter and see me chained up "um - can you please ask him to come?" I said from the inside "Boss?" he asked ofcourse, who else "Yeah" I told him "Uh Signora, he has stepped out of the house..." he said No!! how can leave me tied up. Maybe he left the key here. Thinking I shifted to his side "Do you need anything Signora, I can help you" he said and I felt the door knob twisting "NO!" I kind of screamed and the rattling at the knob stopped "I-I mean I'll wait for him." I said "Okay, you don't have to wait for long, its quite sometime he has gone out, he will be back soon. You can eat the food he placed there for you." he told. "He brought food?" I said in surprise "Yeah - cheeseburgers are the only thing he can cook apart from canned food" he said with a light chuckle and I laughed too. "I will wait for him, thanks" I said and he left as I heard the retreating footsteps. That's sweet of him to bring me food but I really need to use the bathroom first. I extended myself to his end as much as I could and opened his side of drawers by lying on my stomach. But there was no key just a bunch of envelopes. I picked them out they were from the same hospital I saw the invoice yesterday. Who is there? I wondered, or is he having some treatment going on for himself. I pulled one of the envelope out, it was a tax invoice and the envelope said *private & confidential*. It was already opened so I took out the paper from invoice. I read the patient name as Rosalynn, I remembered Don inquiring about some Rosalynn, who is she? I was pondering on the thought when I heard footsteps coming closer, I guess he is back and I quickly put it back and closed the drawer and shifted to my side.

"So you woke up?" he said entering. I gave him a smile and he sat beside me and took out the key from his pocket, it wasn't in the room, what was I searching. I shook my head. In a moment I heard the click I was dying to hear. I let out a breath of relief as the blood rushed back. I felt his fingers grazing over the red mark on my skin. He was looking at it with an emotion I can't read. He then got up abruptly and opened the drapes and I thought instead of deducing his emotions, I should listen to mine which are screaming hunger, so I went inside the bathroom.

I brushed my teeth and took the shower. I was drying myself when realization hit me that I haven't brought my clothes inside and this bathroom door do not open to the closet. Fuck. The only way for me is to reach closet is by entering the bedroom. Now what to do? I cannot ask him. I looked around to see if even his clothes are lying somewhere, I even checked the laundry basket but it was empty too, then my eyes fell on the towel shelf and it had a robe. Great, I thought and wore the black terrycot bathrobe.