Chapter 9 - Understanding

I woke up from my food coma to see it was 6:30 PM. I immediately grabbed my phone and called Trista. I got nothing but the voicemail message, but I tried it anyways.

"Trista I am so sorry, I got carried away with something, please call back. I'll make it up to you, whatever you want! I'm heading down right now. I'm so sorry again!"

I tried to run but I was still rather bloated, making me do this awkward skip thing until I reached the elevator. I drove as fast as I could to the address she gave me yesterday. I reached her house, a small little quarter of a much bigger building, noticing the lights were still on. I went as fast as I could to the doorbell.

No response. I reached for my phone to call when the door opened.

"Trista I am so so sorry, I can't believe I am this late!"

"Mindy, calm down, come inside. It's fine, I was actually preoccupied with making dinner, so I was a bit late here too."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, sorry for not responding or that, I just wanted to get this done as soon as possible."

"I guess that worked out then. What did you make?"

"This!"

Trista came around the corner with a lasagna, a rather large lasagna.

"I love lasagna but I always make too much, so I figured it'd be a good thing for both of us!"

"Trista, it smells fantastic! I must admit, I did eat quite a bit before coming, so I might take a bit to finish my portion."

"No problem. What'd you eat?"

I felt my cheeks glow a blushing red.

"Donuts! Umm... twelve of them to be exact."

"A whole dozen? Quite a bit is an understatement, that's a lot!"

"They were really good, especially the éclair mixed in."

"Ooh, I love eclairs too. Not good for you but I guess that's what you want."

"Hehe, I guess yeah!"

"Hey Mindy, I love your shorts! The pink matches your hair rather nicely, and they fit you nicely!"

My belly was still rather bloated, so I wasn't surprised to hear that I fit them nicely. Trista was wearing a green sweater and some black leggings. I never paid much attention to her appearance before, but Trista was really, really hot. She had the perfect butt that her leggings displayed gloriously, and her sense of style just made her stand out. I blurted out my return compliment without much thought.

"Thanks! Your butt looks really good."

I'm not one with words, but that was really bad even for me.

"Oh, uh, thanks! I do a lot of squats to help in the rear department but I don't get a lot of compliments for it."

"I think people would just feel too embarrassed to say it directly to you. They all think it though."

"Well that's one way to raise my self-esteem, thanks Minds! Let's sit in and dine."

"Minds" was always my go to nickname, but hearing Trista call me it brought a whole new connotation to it. It made me feel cute, which just made me feel happy.

"Well lets eat!"

"Yes, lets!

The Lasagna was cut in half, one for each of us. It was quite a bit so I was shocked to see Trista with such a large portion. Either way, I dug in. The different layers of the dish were driven into my mouth, mixing all of the different noodles and cheese together. It tasted good, but I was only reminded of my mom. My mom always made the best lasagna, but I haven't had it since our falling out not too long ago. I tried to brush those thoughts beside as I ate my meal. It was pretty difficult, so I only ate around half of my portion before taking a break. Trista was plowing through hers, being almost done by the time I was finished my quarter. I guess it was rather late for dinner, and she probably hadn't ate in a while, and I also did stuff myself with donuts not too long ago, but still, her pace was impressive. Sooner or later Trista was finished, wiping off her face with a napkin before starting conversation.