Chapter 17

Calli

OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod.

Finn just turned into a wolf.

A fucking wolf.

How is that even possible?

I scoot as far away from the door he just shut as possible, pushing my back against the other door.

"It's ok, Calli. Everything will be ok." Layla says soothingly holding her hand out to me. I grab it instinctively and feel myself calm a little before a thought strikes me.

"Are you one of them too?" I ask. Her eyes widen before she nods slightly. I rip my hand away and push myself further away from her. I can feel my whole body trembling.

"I'll never hurt you, Calli. No one in our pack will."

"Pack?" I ask incredulously.

"Yes, our pack. It's like our family. We'll explain it later." She says peering out the front window at the wolf that I assume is Ian with a worried frown.

I look back at the giant black wolf with white paws that I saw Finn turn into. He is on top of a second wolf, the first one already dead, when a third wolf jumps at him from the side. Finn turns just in time to avoid the third wolf while ripping out the throat of the second. Blood splatters all over the concrete and I scream. I scream so loudly that Finn's ears perk, and he looks back at the car. His eyes meet my terrified ones and I swear he actually looks sad. I don't know how a wolf can look sad, but he does.

A whole new meaning to puppy dog eyes.

"Don't distract them, Calli. They need to focus." Layla says with a harsh tone. I look at her incredulously and fight the urge to jump out of the car and run as fast as possible.

Ian has finished killing his allotted wolves, not sure how they divvied them up, but, whatever, and has gone to help Finn finish off his last one. When the last one falls lifeless to the ground, they walk up to each one and nudge it, apparently making sure they are really dead, before they change back to human in front of the car's headlights.

Both of them stark naked.

"Oh my God." I mumble and avert my eyes. This is too freaking much.

Finn rounds the car and opens the door hesitantly. He's covered in blood but looks like he's more scared of me than what just happened.

"Calli. Everything's fine. I'm so sorry about this." He says slowly with his hands up in surrender. All of a sudden, a realization clicks in my mind.

"Socks." I say quietly.

"What?" He asks confused.

"The black wolf with white paws, the one that looked like he was wearing socks. That was you. You saved me in the forest that day."

"Yeah, I did." He says quietly. My breathing comes in rapid short pants and my heart starts beating a million miles a minute. Finn reaches a hand out towards me, a hand still covered in blood, and I cower away from him.

"Don't touch me." I snap and Finn pulls his hand back like I burned him. His eyes are wide and I swear there's a glimmer of tears in them, but I can't focus on that.

I try to force myself to breathe slower, clutching my hand to my chest where I can feel my own erratic heartbeat under my hand.

"All this time. Months, Finn. You've been keeping this from me." Tears threaten my own eyes and I try to count to ten.

It doesn't work. I feel like I can't catch my breath.

"I know, baby. I'm sorry I was going to tell you I just didn't know when." I try to answer him, but when I open my mouth nothing comes out. Black spots begin to dot my vision and I slide down on the seat.