Chapter 27

Calli

Ever since school started, I feel like I’m nonstop running. I had no idea it would be so much work to keep up with, but there are constant meetings, budget adjustments, staffing issues and the occasional student disagreement that I have to see over. There have only been a few, but today is one of those days. I have little Stevie and Mary in my office, the pair of six-year old’s look about ready to cry out of fear.

“So, what seems to be the issue here?” I ask the children and they both start yelling at once. I put my hand up to stop them and they both quiet down.

“Mary. You first.” I say pointing to the little girl. She sits up straight in her chair, crosses her arms in front of her chest and throws a death glare at Stevie.

She reminds me of me at that age. Sass for days.

“Well, HE…” She says pointing at Stevie. “Kept following me around even though I asked him to stop! He even stepped on my feet he was so close to me. So I turned around and pushed him.” Stevie scowls at her and points back.

“Yeah and when she pushed me I fell over and got a hole in my pants! My mom is gonna ground me now because of her!” He yells with such passion.

Children are so entertaining.

“Well, maybe you shouldn’t be such an asshole!” Mary yells and I have to stop myself from laughing because this girl is fucking adorable.

“Mary. We don’t use that kind of language.” She shrugs and folds her arms again.

“I heard Beta Finn call his little brother that when he was being annoying. I just thought that’s what you call annoying people LIKE STEVIE!” She yells at him. I groan and roll my eyes.

“Mary, you shouldn’t say that word.”

“Well why can Beta Finn say it and not me?”

Of course she heard it from Finn. Because why not?

“How about I get Beta Finn here to tell you?” I ask her and her eyes go wide.

‘I need you in my office. Now.’ I mind link him. It only takes him a moment to respond.

‘You sound annoyed. I’m guessing this isn’t a quickie on your desk kind of visit is it?’ He asks.

‘No.’ I respond. ‘Well, actually….’ I start to reconsider but then look at Mary and Stevie still glaring at each other. ‘No. You’ve caused me too many issues today.’ I say. I hear him sigh in my head.

‘Be right there.’ He mumbles and we sit and wait.  

He strolls in with his grey sweater and jeans, making me reconsider the no quickie decision, and gives me a peck on the cheek before looking at the children with confusion.

“What’s going on?” He asks.

“Mary, why don’t you tell Beta Finn what you heard him say?” I encourage her. She sits up tall and places her hands primly in her lap before responding.

“I heard you call Camden an asshole.” She says in her high-pitched child voice and Finn bursts out laughing.

“That’s because he is one.” Finn replies, still chuckling.

“Finn!” I exclaim and his smile drops immediately before he clears his throat.

“Mary, you shouldn’t use that kind of language. That’s only for adults.” Mary rolls her eyes before meeting Finn’s gaze with a strong look of her own.

“Are you saying only grown ups can be assholes?” She asks and we both fight our laughter.

“No. I’m saying only grown ups can use the word asshole.” Mary sighs and looks at me before she responds.