Chapter 35

Finn

I hated cutting Calli off like that and putting up my block. I could tell she was distraught and obviously not thinking clearly. She must have been scared and her mind played a trick on her, making her think it was her ex that kidnapped Layla and drugged her. It just doesn't make any sense.

"Come on let's go." Ian says firmly and we all shift to our fur before circling the small abandoned warehouse we tracked Layla too.

I've never seen Ian so haggard and uptight. He's terrified of losing Layla and so am I. We need our mates, especially our Luna.

Ian rams the door, breaking it down and we all file in after him searching the property. I've been concerned since I haven't heard a single sound the whole time we've been outside, but I didn't want to upset Ian by announcing my fears.

That she wasn't here.

We search and sniff every nook and cranny of the disgusting place, but find nothing.

'FUCK!' Ian screams in our mind link and I look over at him carrying a sweater in his mouth.

The one Calli made for Layla.

'They left this here so we would smell her. She's not here. Fuck, Finn. She's not here. Where is she?' He asks obviously distraught.

'We'll find her, Alpha. We have to. I promise we will.'

We shift back and get dressed, loading up in our vehicles.

"Whoever has her they're.... touching her."

My eyes go wide at what he's saying and my skin crawls. Titan growls lowly in anger, at anyone disrespecting our Luna.

"Have they...."

"No." He cuts me off quickly.

"Not yet anyway." He adds sadly. We check in with our trackers and see if they have any new leads.

Nothing.

'Um, Beta?' Grant asks. The guard I left with Calli.

'Yeah? Is the Beta Female ok?' I ask.

'Well, sir. She's gone.' My breath catches in my throat and my heart starts beating out of my chest.

I hit the brakes and spin the car around to head back to the pack.

"What the fuck, Finn?" Ian growls at me.

"Calli’s gone." I say and he swears low under his breath.

"Do you think it's the same people that took Layla?" He asks and I shrug.

"I have no idea but we need to get there and find out. And I need to kill Grant."

"Slow down, Finn. You don't know what happened yet." Titan pushes forward and I feel my canines elongate.

"Titan doesn't give a shit what happened. All he knows is the guard we assigned to protect our mate didn't die fighting for her. So he failed."

Ian is quiet the rest of the drive back to my house. I park quickly and jump out, not bothering to close the door behind me. I notice my car is gone, but run up the stairs and burst into the house. There's a couple of trackers sniffing around and Grant is pacing the living room. I make a beeline for him and push him against the wall with my hand on his throat.

"What the fuck happened?" I growl at him, barely holding on to Titan.

"I don't know, sir. I didn't even hear her. I was watching TV, I may have fell asleep for a little while but I didn't hear a peep out of her. I went to check on her and she was just gone." I snarl at him and feel my canines elongate.

"You fell asleep? While guarding your Beta Female? The most senior female of this pack until we can get the Luna back? You should be ashamed of yourself, pup. I know I am."

I release him harshly and he falls to the floor. He lowers his eyes in submission and I resist the urge to kick him in the ribs. I snarl at him one last time before turning and bounding up the stairs. I walk into our bedroom and take a deep breath. Her scent is still there, as sweet and delicious as always, but now it's muted like she's been gone awhile.

I look around and notice glass on the floor. The picture of us at the mating ceremony. It's the only thing that's broken, and it doesn't look like there was a struggle. I walk up to the bed and pick up her pillow, inhaling her scent, coating my lungs with it in a pathetic attempt to calm myself.

I won't feel calm until I have her in my arms.

"Have you tried linking her?" Ian asks as he stands in the doorway. I nod.

"Yeah, she's either too far away or has her block up."

"Is she hurt?" He asks quietly and I shake my head.

"Not from what I can tell. I know she's awake though, it doesn't feel like it did when she was unconscious." He nods and notices the picture.

"What's that about?" He asks and I shrug.

"I don't know."

"Is anything else missing?" He asks and I put the pillow down to look around.

I go in the closet and notice her snow boots are gone and my brow furrows.

"That's weird." I mumble to myself.

Realization dawns on me and I nearly crumple to the ground. I cross the bedroom to the nightstand and my heart rate increases with every step I take.

"No, no, no, no. Please tell me I'm wrong." I murmur and open the drawer.

My heart drops when I find it empty.

"FUCK!" I scream and fall to my knees before dropping my face in my hands.

"What, Finn? What is it?" Ian is practically screaming at me and shaking my shoulders to get my attention.

"She went after her." I say quietly, trying to stop my tears from falling.

"What do you mean?" Ian asks.

"Calli thought she knew where Layla was. It sounded crazy I just thought the drugs were messing with her mind. We were about to infiltrate the warehouse and I didn't have time to talk to her more. She was so upset, Ian. She swore she knew where she was. That her crazy ex boyfriend had taken her. I brushed her off, all but ignored her. So she took matters into her own hands and went after Layla herself." I nearly sob and Ian starts pacing the small room.

"Did she tell you where she thought he took her?" He asks and I shake my head.

"She's going to die. She's a human, Ian. How could she take on a male werewolf?" I ask as I choke on a sob. Ian places a hand on my shoulder trying to soothe me.

"The trackers are trying to follow the path your car took. It's hard with the snow, but don't give up hope." I nod and pick up her pillow again, breathing it in as I drench it with my tears.

If she dies, it's not Grant's fault.

It's mine.