Chapter 6- Eloise, a new friend

My breath escaped my open lips, but I did not stop. How could I? When the person I searched for so long was now so close.

I had almost forgotten all about the letter I sent!

There were steps behind me, however, I was so enthralled by my search that I did not care who was following me. Only one thought filled my mind... Why the fuck are these corridors so long!

Like with everything in life, everything eventually ends. And I finally reached the door that led to the entrance hall. A round-shaped room, painted in warm colours, almost empty if not for the jewelled tree at its centre. Big as an oak, it was made of silver vines and golden leaves, with sizeable tear-shaped pearls hanging from the branches. In all Rosalinda's manor, there was no piece as beautiful and as extravagant as that. Even counting the Emperor's gifts to Gobbie.

Bellow, one of the biggest branches, watching in wonder, was a small girl. She had long and honey-coloured hair tied in one braid. An unusual choice of hair fashion around nobility, but pretty on her. She had full cheeks and a cute disposition. Eloise seemed, even from afar, a happy and warm child.

Those adjectives, I realized, were the ones used in the book to describe the main character when she was a child. Thankfully, she took most of her persona from her mother, Eloise, instead of her dimwitted father, Joshua.

I walked to her, noting that there was no one around. My steps, loud, echoed in the room, which the acoustic was of prime quality. Eloise heard me and turned to see who had come. Her hazel eyes shone when she spotted me.

When I stepped closer to her, she smiled and bowed. "Nice to meet you, Lady Lucreatia. My name is Eloise of Sargosa." in reflex (and because my lungs hurt too much to speak yet) I bowed as well. "I am happy to make your acquaintance. It is an honour to have you wishing to form a friendship with me."

I wouldn't call it an honour... but it is certainly a fortunate event.

She grabbed my hands in excitement and let out an impressive light grin.

"For a child, you run quite fast." Said the battered voice of Emmanuel from behind.

Well... I had a lot of experience running away from troublemakers...

Both, me and Eloise follow his voice to the door, where Emmanuel was hanging on for dear life. A chuckle left Eloise's lips.

"Oh Lord Emmanuel, maybe grandmother is right... You may need to start exercising."

My head shifted to Eloise in shock. Wait... she knows him...?

"Lady Eloise, I am painfully aware of your grandmother's suggestions. Though she gives them to me with less softness than to you." Emmanuel was now recovering his energy, having by now left the support of the door.

"Grandmother would be shocked to hear that!" exclaimed Eloise, hiding a knowing smile behind her hand.

"I doubt that..." he whispered back as he shortened his distance. Jenni's figure appeared right after. Her cheeks were crimson red from running after me. Behind her, I saw Fanny's head, though she was too far away for me to notice her expression.

I fixed my eyes on Eloise and Emmanuel... How did these two meet? And who is this grandmother? A woman capable of making Emmanuel be so crass over.

Jenni coughed to get our attention, bringing herself closer to Eloise. She bowed and presented herself with a courteous smile. Though the side glances she gave to Emmanuel were quite perceptible, our guest was undeterred by them or by Jenni's powerful aura, reciprocating the greetings with ease. When all was done, Jenni requested Fanny, with a kind smile, to prepare a tea set for Eloise.