Chapter 20- Memories of Hellena

We waited. And we waited a little more. My cookies were on a silver tray at the table in our drawing-room, waiting. Their smell was fragrant and appetizing, yet I had no hunger left in me. A nervous knot settled in my stomach instead. I wanted to move, to exercise, to do something, however, I stayed put in my seat with my hands occupied. One clasped with Jenni's and the other comforting Eloise.

Franco watched us by the door, making sure we didn't go out to follow the other adults of the house. With little to do, we waited some more. The clock clicked behind us, a line of vapour slithered away from the teapot, the dust gathered as the beams of light illuminated the room, and nothing happened. Nothing until we heard light footsteps outside, coming our way. The Duke's aide opened the door, and Lady Sargosa entered in silence. She gave us a reassuring smile, and Eloise released me to sit by her side, her features softer.

Julliete came rushing into the room with a bottle full of saffinas inside.

The liquid, transparent before, gained the colour of the ocean, a turbulent blue, with each step she took. She poured us a drink and left with Franco. And silence reigned as before. Now in a sorrowful tone.

Lady Di'Mello went for a cookie, took a bite, and her eyes misted. She looked at me and said. "They are better than I had remembered."

I saw a distant and painful look. It lasted too little to register more, yet it had been there. A sadness that I couldn't fully grasp in its full intensity.

***

Days passed in normality and while some of the initial tension persisted, Lady Sargosa and the Duke remained polite with each other. Emmanuel hadn't come to meet us that day, so I had left him his cookie by his office door. I was sure the snitches would tell him about it.

After, he came to see us, as usual, pretending nothing had happened. I wanted to probe, to ask endless questions. But I didn't. I had promised not to, which infuriated me a little. It had been a decision on the spur of the moment, the crushing grasp of Eloise's hand and her shaken self molding my mind. I felt sorry for her and I wanted to help. And her best bet, at that time, was the fool, Emmanuel.

Next time... next time... I will be more careful with my promises.

I thought of it while I took a sizeable bite of my toast, raising questioning looks from Lady Sargosa. Ops forgot about my lessons... I was a lady and ladies did not take big bites. Oh, well... I will repent and do better later. Probably.

"Lady Lucreatia, when you finish your meal, please allow me to show you something." said Lady Sargosa with a mild tone.

"Where are we going?" asked Jenni, even though the lady had only addressed me. Could have been a mistake, but I didn't think so.

Lady Sargosa had a hint of a smile on her lips. "I was talking with your sister, my lady. There is no need for you to join."

"But-"

"Jennifer." intervened the Duke, who had been eating his breakfast in silence. "Why don't show the new flower buds to Lady Eloise?" his smile was warm, yet his voice was hard. And Jenni, like any other, knew there was no way to go against him.

In the end, she took Eloise by the arm and left for the west garden, while me and Lady Sargosa departed alone to an unknown place. She walked two steps ahead, her feet clashing into the wood of the floor in vigorous strength. My head turned around, trying to guess where we were going, noticing no servants in sight.

We ended up stopping in front of the display the duke so much loathed. Emperor Salazar's strange and beautiful presents. The muskets and pistols. My head tilted to the side as I gave a questioning look to Lady Sargosa. She searched with those sharp eyes for something on that wall. I watched as she turned her head to inspect a pistol and then another musket, settling herself in the same exact position I had first seen Emmanuel in that corridor. Then she let out a triumphant smile.