Chapter 34- A long search

The grey mist was intense and engulfing. My airways got filled with it and I began to cough profusely. And I was not the only one.

Shit... next time I need to aim far away or cover my nose. Live and learn.

Amelia was still by my side, focused on any movements in front of us. Waiting, like a cat waited for its prey to make a false move. Assessing the shadows and their noises. I just wondered how it was possible that she remained so composed.

From behind, I heard Cedric calling for Wolff. There were some other words, and a red glow became visible as the mist decreased. Magic. From there, I sensed a calmness washing over me, like a basking light, a blessing. Beneath it was Francis's prays.

Both princes were using their strongest weapons. Things had gotten way out of control. We called out for Wolff again, and this time I saw the royal princes ready to intervene. A contrast to Amelia, however, who had yet to move. Even Eloise, itself, the beacon of restraint, had her bow ready to strike. Fanny and Jenni just hugged each other close, next to Fridh, who covered for them.

The princes were about to start their attack when Wolff's voice came from the dark. "Do not worry!" he yelled, approaching with a hand up.

We all stopped. The red light decreased in its intensity and there were no more prayers leaving Francis's mouth. After a while, Cedric went forward. "Are you alright?" he asked his friend, checking him for any wounds.

I did the same, and though I was not close enough to see him well, he didn't look hurt, providing a calming wave to my fast and loud heart. When I saw him nod to the prince to assure him of his health, I asked, "What happened?"

He turned to me, uncomfortable, almost... in panic? I became confused, and he realized it, hiding it beneath a polite smile. Making me even more puzzled. "It was nothing." he said, passing over Cedric to reach me. "Just this little girl."

He extended his hand with his palm open and I looked down with interest, finding only a black spot. Utterly perplexed (it was turning into some of those nights) I glanced back at him, my brow raised. He toppled his chin down a little and I turned back my attention to his hand.

This time, I noticed something more on that black spot. It was round as a ball, furry, and out of nowhere had grown eight long legs. To add up, two big, shiny orbs stared at me.

A spider.

Everyone stopped moving and looked at the little spider while she danced around, happy, on Wolff's palm. Leaning in, I tried to gauge what it meant, thinking that all that movement was supposed to mean something, as if she wanted to express her feelings. An odd thing.

"She has been trying to find you, my lady." said Wolff. His eyes were on me as I lifted my head to meet his gaze.

This time, everyone turned to him, our expressions a mix of incredulity and uncertainty. There were too many questions hanging, and yet none of us seemed capable of enunciating them out loud.

Wolff gulped, averting his eyes from anyone else. Instead, he glanced back at the little spider, and we all watched as she danced, her front paws up and her back ones doing a kind of fast one-person waltz. Wolff nodded with each high-pitched sound she made, like he was part of the conversation at hand.

"Since the tea party..." he said, stopping as the little spider did her moves. "She found you interesting and wanted to meet you again." he finished, nodding at the little fury ball, while he pushed his hand closer.

The spider turned and its obsidian orbs struck me like two black pearls. I watched her hop around and I almost could see a smile on her furry head.

But there were questions. Tea party?? What Tea party? What kind of tea party would have a spider? Not the ones I went to, that is for sure. Not that I went to many parties... But even so, I would have remembered... NO. It can't be!