Cheesecake First, Safety Second

So! Many! Apologies! I swore that I wouldn't delay my updates anymore, that I'd publish a new chapter at least once every 2 weeks-- yet here I am, a month later? I've just been so busy and burnt out recently, between participating in a huge writing contest, rehearsals for my school musical, and just overall going through a depressive period of my life, that I couldn't really bring myself to write. I had to put out something, though, so here is a long-ish chapter that I wrote at 2 AM last night. Hopefully it makes you a bit happier to see the return of the beloved marshmallow stealing raccoon, and his interactions with the JW-- because although this is probably the most rushed chapter I've ever written, and I am not pleased with it at all, I hope it can at least satisfy some of you. Enjoy, and don't forget to vote and comment! <3

In a sudden flash of movement, Qibli was tackled straight to the ground. Perhaps it had been the unexpectedness of his attacker being a small, fluffy forest critter that had caught the boy so off guard. Or perhaps it had been the force at which this demented furby had lunged at Qibli that did him in. But regardless of the reason, the scene which unfolded in front of his three friends was so utterly ridiculous that, if it weren't for the fact that all of them were reacting, it might have seemed like a hallucination.

Now the freckled boy before them was going all out in his wresting match against the raccoon-- but he wasn't doing so well. He'd tried to swat the creature off of him with both hands, still, its claws held on tight. At first, the other three teenagers had backed away in shock to give Qibli a bit of space, but it quickly became apparent that he couldn't handle this terrible beast on his own. Desperately trying to pry the stubborn animal off of him with all their might, it took three additional people to free Qibli from the vicious critter. The animal scuttled away, still reeling from being thrown off of its victim as the freckled boy collapsed onto a patch of grass, trying to catch his breath while also assessing his battle injuries. No missing limbs, as far as he could tell. Just a scraped knee and a few cuts along his torso— as well as a tear in his backpack strap, which he'd have to deal with so it didn't get in the way. Still, it's enough to advise Qibli against squaring up with a raccoon ever again.

"Dude," Peril laughed, dropping the heavy branch she'd been wielding as she adjusted her ponytail, which had been disturbed during the frantic fight. "Did you just get wrecked by a raccoon?"

"Last time I checked, this was more of a rematch for you," he reminded her smugly, pushing himself back onto his feet and observing the torn backpack strap once again. His furry opponent was nowhere to be seen, so for now, the group was safe. "By the way, can you help me out with this?" He gestured toward the strap, which was sticking out at an angle and causing his large backpack to slide further off his shoulder.

Peril came closer, pulling out a knife from her back pocket and cutting the strap like he'd asked. "Sure." Wait. Qibli's mind took a moment to catch up to what he was seeing Pulling out a knife? From her back pocket??

"I'm sorry, is that a knife?" Winter suddenly burst out, looking rather offended. "You've had something like that with you the whole time and just...never thought to use it?" He huffed angrily.

"It's a kitchen knife. And I always carry it with me— you know, in case of cheesecake." She replied proudly. Now that Qibli looked closer, it did seem a bit blunt, like the kind of thing that people used to slice birthday cakes. Still, Peril could make anything into an effective weapon. Anything.

"You're expecting to find a cheesecake in the woods?" Winter did not seem convinced.

"Hey, life is unexpected. Cheesecakes can grow in all kinds of climates!"

"What?"

"I know, I'm pretty great at nature facts. One might even call me an expert."

Qibli just stood back and watched as the two of them bickered back and forth about optimal cheesecake harvesting temperatures and couldn't help but laugh. He had no idea how in the world the conversation had ended up here, but it was a welcome distraction from the current situation. They still had to get back to Moon, and although they probably had enough time to tell her before Morrowseer returned, it would be better to start moving soon. He turned to where Kinkajou was standing--
No, he turned to the place where Kinkajou had been standing-- because now she was nowhere to be seen.

Thankfully, just as he was about to call out for her, he heard her voice shout. It was coming from a few feet away in the underbrush. "Guys!" Kinkajou called out. "Come look!"
Cutting their previous debate short, Peril and Winter joined Qibli as he walked over to the girl. Kinkajou was crouched down in the bushes, and seemed to be petting something gray and fluffy behind the ears. Something that looked oddly like the raccoon that had just assaulted them...
"Hey-" he began to greet her, but stopped right in his tracks. What in the world was she playing at? Any minute now the creature could lunge and attack her, yet here Kinkajou was, giving it pats on the head.

"C'mon, he doesn't bite," She exclaimed with indignation, noticing the other three teenagers' fear. None of them moved from place. "I think I'll call you...Mr. Marshmallow Bandit!" Kinkajou cooed affectionally at the raccoon, who seemed to actually enjoy her doting words. What an odd day it was turning out to be.

"That is, without a doubt, the most atrocious name I've ever heard." Winter interrupted from behind them, totally deadpan. "Truly, where is the creativity?"

"Oh yeah?" Kinkajou teased, "I'd like to see you come up with something better!"

"I think just 'Bandit' would serve him well enough." The boy replied.

"Bandit of what, though? He needs to be aware of his crimes." She gave the animal yet another pat on the head. "Maybe I should call him The Boop Boss instead, to honor our tragic past together..." Qibli faintly recalled her mentioning that she'd once tried to boop a wild raccoon-- on the same occasion as the 'Great Marshmallow Massacre', as their friend group had later proclaimed it.
Still, Qibli knew that as fun as it would be to stay here and continue to...whatever it was that they were doing-- they didn't have forever. Moon needed to know what was going on; Not just that, but the pit of insurmountable worry that had been growing inside him since he first heard Morrowseer mention the girl would not go away. Whatever that man was planning, it wasn't something to be brushed aside.

"I think we should get going. You know, back to the lodge," He tried to get the attention of the other three teens, who were still preoccupied with the raccoon before them. Almost as if a switch flipped, the reminder of their current problem seemed to snap his friends back to life in an instant. They all looked rather embarrassed to have spaced out like that, but particularly Winter, who had almost started treating this 'Bandit' like his dog or something, offering the raccoon belly rubs and head pats-- Qibli would have to remember the other boy's fondness towards small fluffy animals so he could use it to make fun of him once all this was over.

But just as the four teenagers were getting ready to head off in the direction of the lodge, guided by the Google Maps app on Peril's phone, Kinkajou spoke up.

"Wait, guys-- I have something I need to do!"

Oh no, Qibli thought, as he recognized the infamous I'm-about-to-do-something-very-stupid-but-it's-ok-because-it's-fun smile that so often crossed the girl's face. Unfortunatly, it was too late to stop her by the time she had said it-- she was already approaching their new friend, Bandit the raccoon, her pointer finger held out, getting ready to--

3

2

1

"Boop!"

It's safe to say, that did not go well.

Was it really the same raccoon from chapter 7? The only thing we know for sure is that Bandit does NOT like to be booped either!

Hey everyone, I'm glad we got that part of the story over with-- after all, it really says something about a story when the only way its author can dig herself out of writer's block is by slapping a chapter as rushed as this one into it. Once again, I hope you guys don't mind the drop in writing quality that much, it will be back up to usual once I can get my motivation back. Anyways, your approval means the world to me, so please comment your thoughts, and as always, I'll see you later!! <3