Friendzoned. Again

just some small talk about snow and dances lol. And I feel like this chapter perfectly describes my position on the Winter-Moon-Qibli thing, sooooo

Qibli was not a fan of the cold. Until he was 9, he had lived in Las Vegas, where summer was basically all the time. But when he had moved to New Jersey with Thorn, it had been mid winter, and the snow was more than 2 feet deep. That day, Qibli had learned that snow was fun. You could eat it, sit in it, sled in it, and throw it at your friends. Or enemies, if it was the hard, icy kind.

But what weren't fun were cold, chilly, snowless December days. The kind that make you shiver and want to cover your face in millions of blankets. Today was one of those days. He and his friends were sitting at the library during free period, listening to the thunder outside and talking about how tragic life was now. "The whole point of winter is snow! Right, Winter?" Remarked Qibli.

Winter rolled his eyes. "I suppose."

Kinkajou suddenly made a melodramatic face. "OH NO! The winter dance is in two days and what if..." She paused for effect "...it doesn't snow!"

"I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's just cold white dust that falls from the sky. Besides, what does snow have to do with the dance?" Said Peril. "It had to be romantic!" exclaimed Kinkajou in her this-should-be-obvious voice.

Qibli thought about that for a moment. Wait-romantic! That's the answer. Moon rejected me because I wasn't romantic enough! He suddenly shot up out of his seat.

"Kinkajou, you're a genius!"

The blonde girl beamed.

"I get called that a lot."

"A genius?"

"No, Kinkajou."

Qibli held back a chuckle as he walked out of the library to execute his plan. This will work for sure!

__________________________________

Qibli fluffed up the flowers in his bouquet and made sure everything was perfect. Just then, Moon walked in, holding Pride and Prejudice. She always came to the library after school because her mother worked late, and this seemed like the perfect place to ask her out. Moon stopped suddenly and stared at the display. Qibli had skipped multiple periods to get flowers, streamers, and a present wrapped in her favorite color-purple. There was one more thing. A big sign that read, will you go to the dance with me, Moon?

A million emotions flickered across the girl's face, and Qibli began to panic, thinking he had made the wrong choice. What if she doesn't like you the way you like her? I don't want to make her uncomfortable in a relationship she doesn't want.

Moon walked forward softly and took the flowers out of his hands.
"I'm sorry. But...no."
she whispered. Qibli sighed. "you like Winter don't you? It's ok, he's perfect, I know."

Moon looked a little bit shocked. "No...I don't know about either of you. I have feelings for you and for him...I just need time to figure it out. Like, a lot of time. But I appreciate the effort you put into this...let's just be friends, for now."

He smiled, half relieved and half anguished.

Well, at least I have a chance. But for now, back to the friendzone...