Stolen Goods

I ran all the way to my room as silently as I possibly could, the book clutched to my chest. My heart pounded as I shut the door behind me and jumped on my bed. Hands shaking, I grabbed my notebook and a pen and flipped to a blank page.

Mom's phone book was neatly labeled and divided into sections. Classic Mom, I thought. The first few tabs were thick and related to business, with a label each delegated to me and to Grady. As I scanned the names and numbers, my heart sank. But finally, near the very back, I found a section tab labeled FAMILY with an even shorter section labeled FRIENDS.

It was pitifully short, but had many more names and numbers than I had ever dreamed. I began scribbling down the first name in my book, smiling to myself as I did so. "She'll see now," I whispered.

Then I reached the last bit. In Mom's even handwriting, neatly inscribed:

Died 3/4/1998

Most people kept their family records in a family bible. But not my mom. She kept ours in the most important thing in her life, her precious address book. Mom's bible, I thought.

I pored over her, searching for anything that sounded familiar, but none of the names even rang a bell, until I came to Aunt Bess. I had heard the name before, on more than one occasion. It seemed like a few years ago, Mom and Dad had discussed her moving several times. I wonder how she would feel about a long-lost niece showing up on her doorstep.

In the end, I found only three names of family still living, but I couldn't bear to leave the others only to Mom's memory and her stupid book so I copied all of them down.

As soon as the precious contacts were in my possession, I returned the book to Mom's desk. It was no less nerve-wracking being in Mom's office a second time and I backed out, closing the door softly behind me.

* * *

The first person I tried was Cousin Albert. According to Mom's notes, he was really Dad's cousin, but he was listed as Cousin Albert in Mom's book and Cousin Albert he remained. I let the phone ring ten times, counting silently in my head, but he didn't answer.

The next person on my list of living relatives was Aunt Bess. I prepared myself for another disappointment, my stomach clenching with nerves, but she answered on the first ring.

"Hello?" a voice warbled softly on the other end.

"Hi," I said, my voice cracking. Oh my gosh, my mind screamed. I hadn't planned anything to say!

"Yes? Who is this?" Aunt Bess said.

"It's me, your niece," I said.

"Oh, pish tosh. My niece lives in Nashville with her kids." I sensed she was going to hang up with me and I spoke quickly, my words jumbling up in haste.

"No, I'm her daughter. My name's Lindy."

"Oh, Lindy! Well, I remember when you were born. You were such a little thing. Cried all the time."

Great, good memories. Why hadn't I made a better impression while I had the chance?

"Well, I don't cry nearly as much now," I said with a goofy laugh. I winched immediately. This was definitely not going well.

"I should hope not," Aunt Bess said. "It's nice to hear from you."

"It's nice to talk to you, too," I said. "How did you know we moved to Nashville."

"Oh, I hear from your Mom from time to time. It's so nice, too. Breaks up the day, you know?"

I nodded eagerly and then remembered she couldn't see me. But she spoke again before I could say anything.

"All the other ladies have news to share every day and your mother keeps me supplied. I'm so proud of you two with your music. You know, of all my family members, your mother is the most like me." She giggled.

"I can't wait for your tour. I'll rub it in all their faces," she crowed gleefully. "Especially Ruth and Wanda. They thought they could take my crown as queen of the retirement community, but they'll think again!"

By the venom in her voice, I had the feeling Aunt Bess could be a very formidable enemy. I felt for poor Ruth and Wanda, even though I didn't know them. I think it was then I first began to realize my Aunt Bess was the mean girl of her nursing home.

While she talked and questioned me in search of more gossip, I realized three things:

1. My time was limited. Mom was going to find out because...

2. Aunt Bess would never keep it to herself that I called and...

3. I definitely didn't want to retire at my age.

Grabbing my pen, I drew a thick line through Aunt Bess's name. One down, two to go.

* * *

Ok, guys!!!!! Let me know what you want to see next. More info on her search for a way out? Or another scene with the guys? Or the big band name reveal???? Comment on your choice and by Thursday night, 4/23/2015, at 8:00 Central and I'll write the next scene based on what you want to read next!