Training

"No, no, no! Lindy, start it over," Mrs. Crabtree said from her seat in the corner of the basement in Bridge's cabin. She held a stick in one hand, beating it against the floor to keep time with the tune of the music. I restarted the song without another word.

I was amazed at how everything had worked out. Shortly after leaving Mrs. Crabtree's, I had returned home to receive a lecture from my mother. We were running late and it was apparently "all my fault."

We had then rushed to the studio for rehearsals and I had silently thanked Mrs. Crabtree for the muffins because no one else had offered me a chance to eat anything that morning. We rehearsed throughout the day, stopping only for a quick lunch and for the boys to receive training on interviewing. I had mercifully been excused from that.

Mrs. Crabtree had met us at the entrance of the building as we left. She had kindly refused the rehearsal space at Mr. Kane's building, insisting it gave her bad vibes. Someone had mentioned the studio in Bridge's basement and she had promptly agreed to give it a chance.

"Stop, stop!" Mrs. Crabtree shouted, holding up both her hands. She sighed and then glanced at me. "Do you know what we need, Lindy?"

I shook my head. The boys were ten times worse than usual after their session with Sarah. She was really going off the deep end as she struggled to get all of up to Mr. Kane's standard.

"We need pizza. Who wants what?" Mrs. Crabtree asked.

Arguments over toppings erupted around the room and Mrs. Crabtree dutifully took down orders, which I called in and our driver went to pick up. She even had me ask what he wanted and he had seemed surprised we remembered him. I wondered what he did all the time, sitting in his car while he waited on us.

After a lengthy meal of pizza and chips around the fire pit along with our driver, Mrs. Crabtree decided it was time to try again.

"Alright, kids, time to get back to work," she declared. The boys grumbled as they cleaned up the empty plates and chip bags and started towards the cabin. In my heart, I agreed with them. The last thing I wanted to do was go back into the basement. Not on a summer night like this, with the air like perfume and the setting sun painting glorious colors in the sky.

"Where are you going?" Mrs. Crabtree asked as she shifted in her chair to stare at them. "I said it was time to get back to work."

"We're going inside," Ryder said. The boys paused, confused.

"Nope," Mrs. Crabtree shook her head, her lips pursed. "We already tried that and we weren't getting anywhere. So we're going to do something different. Come right back over here."

Grady, Tom, and Bridge dutifully marched back over while Ryder and Hardyn watched from a distance. Mrs. Crabtree ignored them, continuing with her speech.

"We are going to work out here. I think all those mirrors are throwing you off. They have their place and are a great asset, but we're starting from the very beginning. Hank," she turned to the driver. "Can you turn on your radio for us?"

He nodded as he hurried to comply and soon the car windows were rolled down and the latest hits blared from the speakers.

"Now each of you stand among the trees," Mrs. Crabtree said. "Where only I can see you. That means you, too, Lindy." I glanced at her, surprised. I hadn't expected to be included. But then I went to a spot in the border of trees surrounding the clearing.

And I began to dance. Mrs. Crabtree laughed as she watched us, shaking her head and clapping her hands as she urged us on, giving us advice on what we were doing wrong and even walking over to correct form when needed.

Slowly, we edged towards her as the light failed behind us and soon we were dancing together, practicing the routine by the light of the campfire while Hank clapped leaned against the car, watching us and clapping every time we stayed in sync.

We laughed as we played together and I lost track of time. We were by no means perfect, we still stumbled at times on the rocky ground and Tom still forgot the routine from time and time and had to start with a prompt from Grady or Bridge, but I could tell we were improving as a team.

The campfire slowly burned down to embers as the stars came out above us. A fast song came on and Ryder grabbed me by the hands, spinning me in a circle that left me gasping for air. I stumbled and he caught me, laughing as we righted ourselves.

Staring into his eyes, I couldn't help but wonder if he was going to kiss me again, but then the song stopped playing and we realized everyone was staring at us and we broke apart.

There was an awkward pause and then Mrs. Crabtree spoke.

"Time to go, I think," she said as she straightened from her chair, rubbing her back with one hand. "Morning comes early for me. But you all did well. I look forward to working with you tomorrow night."

****

Ok guys! I just want to take a second to say thank you for reading!!! I really appreciate all of you and your comments & votes. If you are on twitter, please follow me! My username is Leahpriceauthor