Show Dogs

The next morning dawned hot and muggy. We were nearing the end of July and were fast approaching the "Dog Days" of summer as Mrs. Crabtree put it. I had asked her what that meant and she said it was when it go so hot, even the dogs didn't want to do anything but lay in the shade.

Mom had still not come home when I went to bed the night before and I was surprised to find a box of expensive cinnamon rolls and a note declaring that we had the morning off. I helped myself to one (okay, maybe it was two) and a tall glass of orange juice and then I climbed the stairs to my room.

The air seemed heavy outside, thick with humidity and the promise of a sweltering afternoon, and as I snuggled back under the covers with my breakfast, I saw the corner of my notebook stuck in the drawer of my nightstand.

It was perfect timing really and I realized that this might be my last chance to reach Mom's cousin. Summer was almost over and despite multiple attempts, I still hadn't been able to reach her. I reached for the phone and my notebook and then bit my lip. I had to check one thing before I tried a final time.

The door to Grady's room was shut and I tiptoed up to it, listening. The reassuring sound of Grady's snoring echoed softly in his room and I ran silently back to my room, shutting the door softly behind me.

I held my breath and crossed my fingers as the phone rang. Mom's cousin Angela answered on the second ring.

"Hello?" she asked and I immediately sensed that we would not get along. Her manner was brisk and her tone clipped. But I took a deep breath. I had to try.

"Hello? Is this Angela?"

"Yes. Who's this?" Boy, this woman didn't mince words. A strange cacophony of noise filled the background and I wondered what was making such a racket.

"This is Lindy. Lindy Madison."

"Diane's daughter?" She sounded slightly surprised.

"Yes. Do you know me?"

"What do you want?" she countered, ignoring my question.

"I'm doing some research on my family and you were next on my list."

"I was, huh?" She sounded amused, as if she was laughing at me, and I didn't appreciate it."Yes. So um," I paused as if I was consulting a list of questions, "what is it you do for a living?"

"I show dogs." I realized then what the noise was. Multiple dogs all barking and yipping at once."Quiet," she said, barely even raising her voice, and the noise ceased. I shivered.

"You show dogs?"

"Yes," she said.A few terrible moments of silence passed."What else do you want?" Angela asked.

"Do you have any kids?"

"My dogs are my kids," Angela replied.

"Oh."

"What is it? You want to come visit?" I could hear the upcoming refusal in her voice and then it all changed. It was obvious she had just thought of something."You can if you want. I have few pups I'd like to start in the junior's classes. I could train you to show if you work in exchange. Cleaning out the kennels and such."

I imagined a summer of cleaning up after dogs so I could once again be forced to do something I didn't want to do. No thanks, I thought. Honestly, with the dogs being front and center instead of Grady, it would be a demotion. But just barely.

I eyed the sugary frosting on the cinnamon roll, melting into white puddles around the edges. I sighed.

"Maybe. I'll talk to Mom." Like she would ever agree to that. "It was nice talking to you. Bye." I hung up without another word and picked up my breakfast, licking the frosting from my fingers.

It melted in my mouth and I settled back against my pillows. I had realized something significant. There were definitely worse situations I could be in than the one I was in now.

I'd rather be Mom's show dog, than Angela's show dog's slave.