Shadows

“Why did you build them in this area? Wasn’t there a bunch of old houses you had to tear down?”

Kandee laughed at my question as she shuffled the papers in front of her. “Yes, but Mr. Kane didn’t mind the cost. It was cheaper than the alternatives.”

Kandee had given the boys the codes and walked myself and my mother over to our new home. Despite the fact that I wanted nothing more to cool off in the pool in the sweltering heat, I had questions I desperately wanted to have answered.

“Alternatives?”

“Well, old houses typically stand on huge lots, at least in this area of town. They aren’t quite old enough to be considered historic and many of them are in bad disrepair. He started buying up the lots for a song a few years ago. He built the studio and these houses. Now the land values are going up so it’s a win-win all the way around.” She smiled brightly as she finished her speech. “You can see the studio from here.”

I followed her as she clicked her way to the window, craning to point out the building. It loomed over us less than two blocks away, its shadow blocking out the late evening sun. If there was ever any doubt about my choice of bedroom, it was decided now. I was definitely not going to wake up in a room that faced that building every day. It gave me the creeps.

“Isn’t it inspiring?” she beamed.

I nodded slowly.

“Anyway, here are your keys.” She turned to my mother, dropping a set of keys into her hand. “Please let me know if you have any questions.” She uncurled her fingers from their tight grip around the manual, handing it to Mom. My mother clutched the offered book to her chest as if it were precious cargo and not just an overlong list of instructions and rules.

“Well, then. I hope you have a good night,” she said, waving cheerfully as Mom let her out the front door. A blast of heat flooded the room immediately. It was almost as if Mom had opened an oven door, it was so hot outside. The limo waited in the driveway of the house next door, the driver leaning against the hood as if bored.

“Want to go swimming?” I asked as soon as the door swung shut. Mom turned to face me, a surprised look on her face.

“Swimming? Now? No, I’ve got far too much work to do. I need to set up my office and unpack. I think I’m going to look at vehicles tomorrow. And we need groceries so I have to put together a list….” She continued talking as she disappeared into the master bedroom, but her voice was far too muffled for me to discern any words.

“I think I might!” I yelled, grabbing my bag and heading for the stairs. I took them two at a time. It was a habit of mine. I don’t know why, but I usually had to mentally force myself to go slow up stairs unless I was upset or depressed.

I walked quickly down the hallway, opening the door on the right.

I smiled as I saw my new room for the first time.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****