Time Warp

It was like we somehow entered a time warp after that. The next morning, Mom informed us that we were going to start doing all of our rehearsals with Mrs. Crabtree at the studio. I was disappointed, but not nearly as disappointed as I was two days later when it was decided we need extra time with Sarah and that Mrs. Crabtree no longer needed to work with us.

Late August had seemed like a faraway dream when we had first arrived in Nashville, but all at once I realized it was upon us. I panicked slightly the day I noticed the circled date on the calendar and I began researching boarding schools with a little more dedication.

The only problem was that none of them looked anything at all like I imagined they would be. Finally, and after much deliberation, I narrowed it down to two. One was in New England and was extremely expensive. I could pretty much guarantee that Mom was never going to go for that. And the second was in Virginia. It had a strong focus on horseback riding and traditional education, but it was very small and remote. I would also be required to share a dorm room with three other girls and I knew I would not enjoy doing that. I loved having my privacy.

It was early in the morning and I was studying the pamphlets once last time before making my case. My lip was raw from my nervous chewing. I barely noticed when Mom rushed into the room.

"Lindy. You will not believe what has happened."

"What?" I asked automatically. I wasn't really that interested, but I feigned interest for Mom's sake.

"They've moved up your dress rehearsal for Mr. Kane," Mom wailed and I glanced up, surprised. This was news.

We had known for about a week that Mr. Kane expected a full dress rehearsal before the boys' opening concert. The concert was only a week away, but no one had expected Mr. Kane to change the date at such late notice.

"To when?" I asked, carefully slipping my pamphlets into the back pocket on my shorts. It was important Mom didn't see them too early. This was going to be a surprise attack.

"Tonight!" Mom slammed her hand onto the counter. "All I can say is those other boys better be ready. If Tom messes this up for Grady...."

I didn't say anything, but Tom was not the main problem anymore. It was now Ryder. He had been struggling since the incident with his brother. I wondered sometimes if there was more to the story than what Ryder told us and if that was why he was acting so differently, but I never got up the courage to ask.