Mom's new pet

When I got back home, the sun was sinking in the west. Its hot rays streamed over the grass, stretching out like fingers reaching for my new home. I passed through the gate and into the house.

“Mom?” I called as I entered the foyer. I paused to shed my dirt caked shoes.

“In here!” Her voice echoed down the hall from the direction of the kitchen.

Dirt streamed off me onto the tile floor and I bit my lip. I knew what Mom would say if she saw the mess I was making. I really hadn’t honestly realized how filthy I was until just that moment. Gardening’s dirty work, I thought. But it was also fun.

“I’m going to shower,” I replied. I almost made it to the stairs before she caught me.

“Wait, come in here and talk to me while I cook. I want to hear about… Lindy!” My mother said from behind me and I turned slowly, wincing in nervous anticipation.

Mom stared at me, spaghetti spatula in hand. Her expression was a mixture of shock and horror, her mouth hanging open in surprise. Her free hand went to her throat. For several minutes, she said nothing. I couldn’t believe it. I had never seen my mother speechless in my life and I had never expected to.

“Oh, no, what happened to you?” Her eyes filled with concern. She rushed to me, kneeling on the floor before me and gripping my upper arms in her hands. “Did someone attack you?”

“No,” I protested, pulling free. “I was working in Mrs. Crabtree’s garden.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” Mom asked, feeling my forehead. “Did you overheat?”

I snorted impatiently. “No, Mom. I went for a walk outside and I met an old woman named Mrs. Crabtree. She was really nice. She has a beautiful garden and a cute little house.”

But Mom wasn’t listening. Instead, she scowled at me, crossing her arms. “You left the house?”

“Yeah,” I admitted slowly, my head hanging. “Sorry.”

“Lindy, that’s dangerous. You could have been killed!” She threw up her hands in agitation and flung a spot of spaghetti sauce against the white walls. She sighed. “Now look what you’ve made me do. You better get washed up while I clean this mess.”

It was hardly a mess, but I didn’t say anything. Quit while I’m ahead, I thought. I turned to mount the stairs once more.

“Lindy!” Her voice was impatient.

“What?” I asked. I sounded a bit impertinent, but she let it slide, only raising her eyebrows at me.

“You can’t go upstairs like that.”

“Well, what am I supposed to do? I can’t float!” I knew I was treading on dangerous ground. Being a smart aleck was something my mom hated. And, it was usually something I was punished for.

“Outside, Lindy.”

“Outside? You mean the pool? I can’t swim like this!” I gestured to my clothes and Mom rolled her eyes, gesturing for me to follow her into the kitchen.

The sauce was bubbling and Mom ran to it, stirring it quickly. “Almost burned.” Turning down the temperature, she sighed again, pressing one hand to her forehead. “Lindy, you bring chaos in your wake. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

I started to get offended, but then I noticed the small grin on Mom’s face. Before it could turn into a full smile, the phone rang. She grabbed it, sandwiching it between her shoulder and her ear as she stirred the pasta once more and then grabbed a cloth.

“Yes, we just love the house,” she gushed. She paused, turning to me and gesturing with one hand for me to go outside.

“And wash with what?” I asked.

“The hose,” Mom mouthed to me, still nodding as she listened to whoever was on the other end.

“With the hose? Like a dog?” I stared at her.

“So the concert won’t be till the end of summer?” I heard her ask as she ignored me. “No, no, that’s fine. I actually wanted to talk to you about something. Just a little idea I had.” She glanced at me, shooing me out once more and I obeyed.

Just like a dog.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****