I want to be your friend

Anya went to the telephone booth to try and contact her father so he could fetch her. To her dismay, her father's phone is out of reach, and no one picked the home phone up. Anya decided to wait a few minutes before calling her parents again.

Anya sat at the bench in the corridor near the gate when she heard Mr. Henderson and a clinic staff.

"The boy was exhausted earlier, but now he has recovered. He will be back at his feet after a day of rest," the clinic staff assured.

"Thank you. I already informed his parents about what happened."

Anya was relieved that Ewen is fine.

"Uh, excuse me sir," Damian interjected. "I apologize, but I happened to overhear you. Will Ewan's parents be coming?"

"Yes, Desmond. They are on their way as we speak."

"I see. That's good to know. Thank you sir." Damian replied. Anya thought she saw in him a hint of sadness.

"You are welcome, Desmond. You can visit him if you want to while we wait for his parents. If you will excuse us."

"Thank you," Damian moved to let the adults pass.

He then looked to the direction of the dormitory. 'What now?' Damian thought.

'Sy-on boy must be relieved. Doesn't he have anything to do?' Anya thought. She saw Damian walk towards the dormitory.

"Hmmm, I think it's about time I call papa and mama again." Anya went to the telephone booth and dialed her parents' numbers. However, she was still unable to reach them. Anya sighed.

"Papa must be busy with spy— psychiatry work. Mama must be busy as well. Maybe I should wait a few more minutes, then I'll try calling them again." Anya resolved not to leave Eden without hearing from her parents since Eden students are prone to being kidnapped. 'I probably should stroll around,' Anya thought.

Meanwhile, at the back of the dormitory, Damian was speaking to a huge boy from another class.

"I don't have much time to spend so make it quick," Damian told the boy.

"Congratulations on winning earlier." The boy, Bill, was referring to a game they had during PE. "You certainly proved a cunning opponent."

Bill fixed his eyeglasses. "But this will be the last time you'd win." He turned his back to Damian. "After all, you are spineless."

"Look who's talking. Who fell on his knees and cried when he got defeated?" mocked Damian, pertaining to Bill's actions during the game.

"You're right. Someone had to encourage me to keep my focus on the game," Bill admitted. "So were you when you learned you were alone. She had to run to help you."

Damian closed his eyes and looked to Bill's direction.

"Since you somehow know, I'd guess you are also drawn to her." Damian commented. Bill nodded.

"We're too young, I have big shoes to fill, so let me clarify that while she intrigues me, I am not interested in anything more than being friends," Bill said.

"However, if I would ever become her friend, I shall build the right foundation, so it may become something more in the right time."

"Whatever," Damian replied.

"You have the advantage, Desmond," Bill said, "Do not waste it."