The Ship that Sank and the One That Sailed

(This is a continuation. The context provided by the previous one entitled "The Unexpected Guest" is vital to this chapter.)

After frantically looking for her friend everywhere, Becky finally found Anya in the garden.

"A-Anya?" Becky panted as she slowly walked toward her friend whose side of her face rested over the back of her palm on the table.

Anya did not respond. Becky stopped to catch her breath.

"I'm sorry about Indira. You know how shallow people can be, right? I hope you won't let her affect you."

Anya still didn't respond.

"Anya?" Becky called out again. She moved closer to face Anya directly. What her eyes saw was her apparently sleeping friend.

Becky smiled at her softly. She sat beside her and gently stroked her head. Then she waited for her friend to wake.

~~~~~

Anya rubbed her eyes after falling asleep in the garden.

"Hi Anya," greeted Becky.

"Becky! How long have you been here?" said a surprised Anya.

"I don't know... maybe 5 minutes?" Becky said.

"I see... Sorry I suddenly left you behind," Anya apologized.

"It's alright," Becky replied with a smile.

Anya slowly stretched out her arms and back.

"How are you feeling?" Becky inquired.

"Well... I don't know actually," Anya took her palm under her chin.

"I see. Hungry?" Becky asked.

"Oh, I could used a pack of peanuts!" Anya excitedly replied.

'Hmmm... Maybe she's not yet ready to open up.' Becky thought. She stood and pulled her friend.

"Then let's go to the cafeteria!"

~~~~~

Anya and Becky sat on one of the benches and ate their afternoon snacks.

"Say, Becky..." Anya said.

"Hmm?"

"Is it really that bad for people like you to be seen with commoners like Anya?"

Becky shrugged her shoulders.

"It's only bad because people choose to feel that way. For me, it isn't."

Anya nodded. "I think so too."

"Besides, it is because I am friends with you that I am able to truly enjoy school. It's so fun with you around, Anya!" Becky exclaimed.

"Really?" Anya asked.

"Hmm-mmm!" Becky said.

Anya's face brightened. "Thank you, Becky. I think you truly are an exception to them."

"Na-ah. There's more. Desmond, Emile, and Ewen have probably realized that too I think. But Desmond in particular is still too stubborn to admit it."

"Really now..." Anya looked down on her lap.

"Anya," Becky started, "Don't let anyone bully you from being friends with Desmond."

'Of course, I can't let that affect my mission,' Anya thought. But apart from that reason is a bugging strange mix of emotions inside her chest that she can hardly understand.

Yet, Anya chose to smile at her friend.

"Okay, Becky!" Anya replied.

"That's it, Anya!" Becky cheerfully said.