S1 E1: Prologue Part 1! The Rescue Force is Born!

Once upon a time, there was a world of heroes. A glorious age of compassion and helping. Where good triumphed over evil, and the bad guys always got their rear ends handed to them in the end.

Now this world had many different heroes, scattered all across. You may recognize allusions to them throughout this tale. This story aims to tell a more mature version of the events involving the titular canine crew that saves the day in Adventure Bay.

Now, on with the story. The city of Adventure Bay always had a knack for its citizens getting into trouble. Grover Goodway, the first mayor of the city, knew this, and poured much of the city's budget into their police force and firefighters. With every successive generation, less and less of the budget was given to their rescue squads. The city was becoming poorly managed, with the police and fire departments barely being given any of the budget with the second most recent mayor. This led to many of the police and fire department quitting and abandoning the town for better lives elsewhere.

That all changed when Mayor Goodway was elected. The great-great-great-great granddaughter of Grover, the first mayor, she won the election and promised to begin restoring the town's rescue services. But would it come true, or would it just be the empty promises of a typical politician?

And this is where our story begins.

Ben and Ryder were two bright young minds who had always dreamed of helping people who were in a crisis. Both of the teenagers (Ben was 12 and Ryder was 11) had always wanted pets and were saddened by the lack of resources the fire and police departments were receiving. Ryder lived on his own in the Lookout Tower. One time when they were in the Lookout watching a nature documentary about dogs, Ryder got really interested in it.

"I know what we should do! We could get dogs, and train them to help people! Rescue others! We could have a whole team of them." Ryder exclaimed as the dogs on screen followed commands. Ben arched an eyebrow.

"Okay, what's in it for me? You know I'm more of a cat person." Ben casually said.

Ryder leapt up and ran over to the table, which had a set of pencil and paper on it. Hurriedly, he drew a picture of a pup driving a miniature fire truck that then transformed into a dog house. "We could make these! Doghouses that would transform into the vehicles that they use to get to the scenes! And, and, the pups could drive them! We could teach them how to operate the vehicles!! We could call it the Paw Patrol!" Ryder excitedly answered.

"Okay, but what about gear? A pup doesn't have hands to hold items with." Ben mused. He then grabbed a piece of paper and drew a backpack-like device that produced a set of tools. Words like 'megaphone', 'screwdriver', and 'water blasters' were scribbled hastily. "We could have things in compartmentalized boxes that they wear around their bodies. Like a backpack, but for pups!" Ben suggested.

"A pup pack! That sounds great, Ben!" Ryder exclaimed, giving Ben a fist bump.

"Awesome. I'll draw up some blueprints." Ben earnestly replied.

The two boys were no stranger to mechanics-- Ryder's grandfather in Adventure City was a skilled inventor, and had even made Ryder an ATV. "I'll go up to Adventure City and see if me and my grandpa can make them. I'm supposed to be staying at his tower there for about a week and a half-- I leave tomorrow. We don't really have any plans aside from going out to eat once or twice over the trip, so that should give us plenty of time to make the vehicles and bring them to reality!" Ryder told Ben.

"That sounds good. I'll be here when you get back." Ben chuckled as he gave Ryder a hug goodbye before he hopped on his ATV and drove off, heading to Adventure City. 

A shorter chapter, to set up the premise, the world, the city of Adventure Bay, Grover Goodway and his legacy, Mayor Goodway, the crisis that led to the need for the Paw Patrol, the conceptualization of it, and Ryder's partner in crime: Ben. It also ties into the flashbacks for the PAW Patrol Movie, setting up Ryder's trip to Adventure City, the existence of the Adventure City Lookout Tower, Ryder's family, and Chase.

Ryder won't meet Chase on screen, or work on the vehicles on screen- the next chapter will be his return to Adventure Bay, Chase in tow. To see the adventures he got up to while with Chase in Adventure City, check the link in the comments.