10 Decoys

After an hour of questions and relaxation, Giles stood in front of the guests. Two maids stood beside him, holding twelve stone tablets. Each one had a riddle engraved into it. "Dear guests, it is now time for the challenge. In this little game of the killer's, you will want to think hard. Each of these stones has a riddle on it and that riddle may lead to your success in this investigation. I will read the riddle but you will all have your own copy."

I am dark and I am light, I have wings I have rings. I hold the key to everything, just open me.

"Everyone take one tablet and good luck!"

At first the guests stood there, none wanting to make the first move. It was Vivian who finally walked away first, however she played it off as she walked to the grand staircase, not acting with purpose but curiosity. Her thoughts landed on the clue, wings. This could mean something to do with the ceiling. She barreled up the staircase.

Soon all of the guests were getting ideas and they dispersed. Bailey had an idea that made him feel stupid. What else could be light but a window? He walked over to the bay window and looked out side, seeing nothing, his brow furrowed. Had he read it wrong?

A particular guest had been watching Bailey, Montana. She watched him curiously and looked down at her riddle. It mentioned dark and light and wings, wings and....and rings! She rushed to the dining room, there she'd seen a large curtain on the first day. The curtain had tiny pink wings all over it. Of course it also had metal rings holding it a loft. She couldn't believe how easy this was.

When she reached the curtain, she pulled it and did exactly what the riddle said. She opened it and gasped. The window looked out on a large patio and in the center of the patio at eye level from her, was a small black key dangling from the roof.

Without attracting attention, she walked out to the patio and picked up the key. On it, she saw a word. Basement. In minutes she had found the basement door. She inserted the key and it clicked, opening. Montana couldn't believe she was entering a dark basement under a mansion fighting for her life. She wanted to be with her children watching movies. Montana fought back tears and walked into the basement.

On a table sitting in the middle of the room, was a clear box and in it, was a creature. She crept closer and with further inspection, realized it was a scorpion. Beside the box was a can of red paint and a knife with the words, decoy printed on them. So this is how Amelia died. She smiled to herself despite the nature of the whole thing.