5. Chapter (A Valuable Visitor)

Historical Insight:

*The emancipation topic discussed between John and Emmett is related to Catholic emancipation or Catholic relief. It was a process in the kingdoms of Great Britain and Ireland, and later the combined United Kingdom in the late 18th century and early 19th century, that involved reducing and removing many of the restrictions on Roman Catholics introduced by the Act of Uniformity, the Test Acts and the penal laws. Requirements to abjure (renounce) the temporal and spiritual authority of the pope and transubstantiation placed major burdens on Roman Catholics. The penal laws started to be dismantled from 1766 (while our story begins in 1757).

In that moment, as Daniel placed his alms for the orphanage into the lad's hat, a carriage belonging to the Duke of Hertfordshire emerged on the other side of the square

In that moment, as Daniel placed his alms for the orphanage into the lad's hat, a carriage belonging to the Duke of Hertfordshire emerged on the other side of the square. All the Price ladies were en route to their modiste, each with a distinct perspective. Elizabeth looked forward to perusing a vast selection of fabrics, Isabella considered it an obligatory task, Aileen fostered bold ideas for her latest gown, and Eliza, despite her earlier anticipation, wished to swiftly conclude the affair. She awoke that day with a bothersome headache and sought to divert her thoughts from the pain and the Duke of Kent, who was likely its source. Therefore, she took notice of the bustling London streets and the passing scenes.

"Oh, how splendid," she exclaimed softly when she beheld the scene orchestrated by the orphanage as they briefly halted due to the passing carriage.

The Duchess commanded the coachman to halt, and all four ladies observed the performance. Shortly thereafter, Eliza noticed a young lad traversing the crowd with his hat, yet he stood too distant for her to beckon him near.

"Do you suppose we could offer them some financial aid?" Eliza inquired.

"Do not ask me, for your father holds all the purse strings. But, knowing his disposition towards those less fortunate, he shall likely consent," came the reply from Elizabeth.

"Ah, there stands Marquess St. Arcey!" exclaimed Isabella.

After a while, Eliza also caught sight of him. He stood nearby the stage, his countenance adorned with a modest yet sincere smile, which accentuated the dimple upon his scarred cheek. He was an enigmatic and intriguing gentleman, the epitome of every woman's desire, yet Eliza did not sense his allure captivating her as it did others, including her sisters. Nor did his character captivate her. However, she harboured a piqued curiosity about the cause of his melancholy, for there were only rumours circulating the society.

Alas, she had little time to ponder upon it, as Elizabeth signalled the coachman, and ere long, they arrived at the modiste's establishment. Isabella had swiftly selected her preferred fabric and style, and now she sat pensively on the sofa, observing the other members of her family. Elizabeth was engrossed in an animated discussion with the modiste, oblivious to Eliza's presence. Eliza, suppressing an exasperated sigh at the needlework commenced on her gown, weighed her options, whilst Aileen endeavoured her green gown in the adjoining chamber.