36. Chapter (Weak, Feeble and Soft)

*fracas - brawl

The adversary seated opposite Arden exclaimed triumphantly and tossed his winning cards onto the table

"Well, well, the legend of your invincibility is taking a beating today, Sir Badger. And for the third time!"

Arden sighed and neatly stacked his cards together. Since that night, he had struggled to concentrate, and Burnett's vexed gaze betrayed that his companion had grown weary of the fact. As soon as their opponents retreated from the table, their spoils in hand, Burnett commenced needling him.

"You're becoming feeble and soft."

"I am not becoming feeble nor soft; I'm experiencing merely an off day," Arden retorted with a touch of irritation, defending his gambler's honour.

"A mere fortnight. You are becoming the most spineless of men, all due to some skirt. Bah! As if the most sought-after widow in London weren't lying at your feet," Burnett taunted.

His vexation was understandable, for he had lost a considerable sum in bets in recent days due to Arden's lack of focus. He didn't even need to utter a word regarding his newest flame – after years spent gambling together, Burnett could discern from Arden's behaviour what was troubling him. And today, it was abundantly clear to Burnett, as clear as the sun in the sky, that Arden was infatuated with a woman, and rather heavily at that.

"The widow lies at multiple men's feet – if you wish, I can vouch for yours as well," Arden retorted.

While both gentlemen were immersed in a game of whist, a carriage approached the inn, inside of which sat none other than Daniel and Felix Gray.

"Is this not the last place where we ought to be seeking him?" Felix inquired of Daniel.

"Indeed, that is precisely why we should give it a look," Daniel replied.

Felix smirked. "Oh, pray, and why is that? Are you perchance imputing your past mishap upon our dear friend, brother?" he quipped, causing Daniel to furrow his brow, yet he offered no reply.

They had been exerting themselves to establish contact and locate Travis for several weeks now, but to no avail. It appeared as though he had vanished without a trace and that deeply troubled Daniel. He felt disheartened that Travis had turned against him so swiftly, refusing any explanation. Though Daniel endeavoured to understand it from the perspective that Travis ardently desired Eliza, he still regarded it as unjust that he had been denied an opportunity to defend himself. However, what could he possibly say in his defence? Disclosing the true motives behind the rival family's attempts to unite him with their daughter might seem far-fetched to outsiders. Not to mention, had Travis known about the damage he caused to his most desired lady...

Upon returning home from Hertford, he briefly recounted the entire tale of his sojourn to his mother, carefully omitting his transgressions, of course. A wave of relief swept over him upon observing that Rose bore no visible injury, her health seemingly intact. However, her countenance swiftly transformed into one of horror upon seeing her son. This prompted an extended explanation of how he acquired his first black eye, the incident involving the torn lip, and the subsequent blow to his unhealed bruise.