10. Chapter (The Magician And His Tricks)

As the first rays of the morning sun gently kissed the landscape, Eliza roused from her serene repose. She opened her eyes, feeling a delicate ache in her head—a customary affliction that followed each soiree, evidence of her delightful indulgence in the festivities of the previous evening's ball. Later, her maid entered the room to assist her with dressing, informing her that Aileen and Isabella had gone for a morning ride.

As usual, Arden was still sound asleep, Elizabeth was immersed in a romantic novel in the library, and father was occupied with overseeing the household ledgers. Eliza little cared about the rejection of yet another suitor, yet Isabella's recent behaviour lingered in her mind. What was her sister doing in the chamber where she had left Travis not long ago? If she was even there, of course.

Despite her efforts, Eliza couldn't shake her curiosity about Aileen and Isabella's recent collaboration. They seemed to be engaged in joint activities more frequently than usual—what intrigues were they weaving? In her imagination, she pictured them conversing amidst a meadow of vibrant flowers, plotting mischievous schemes with diabolical smirks adorning their faces.

Nay, she scolded herself, realising she was allowing her imagination to run wild once more. Her sisters, for all their unpredictability, still valued their reputation and the family's good name, of which she was certain. Eliza chose not to dwell on the potential consequences if their actions took a turn for the worse, as it only worsened her headache. Alas, she reminded herself that her sisters were grown women entitled to their own choices and subsequent repercussions. However, as she tried to shift her thoughts away from her sisters, another unpleasant memory surfaced—the harsh words spoken by the lord she unintentionally splashed at the ball.

...your character does not inspire the confidence necessary for me to place even a button from my attire in your care...

Eliza averted her gaze that one time she caught sight of the haughty lord and Travis strolling together, her being accompanied by Aileen. She wished to avoid any disappointment, anger, or resentment directed at her as she had already endured a whirlwind of emotions that evening, and her sour mood led her to unintentionally snap at Aileen later that night. It was no wonder that her twin sisters had chosen to go riding that morning without her.

In need of respite from her tangled thoughts and emotions, Eliza summoned her maid to help her pack bags with old toys and sweets. Her mission for the day was clear—to visit the children at St. Angelica's Orphanage and offer support without her father's knowledge or consent, for she knew that he would approve nevertheless. She eagerly anticipated the opportunity to bring joy to others, to engage in conversation, and to discover the hidden talents of the children. Eliza herself tied the bags while the majordomo, Jens, loaded them into the carriage. Soon, they were traversing the streets of London, heading towards their destination.

Upon arrival, Eliza rapped on the massive wooden doors and patiently awaited a response. After a brief pause, the doors creaked open, revealing a small, red-haired boy who could barely reach the handle. Eliza greeted him with a warm smile, which immediately caught the boy's attention.

"May I be of assistance, madam?" he asked in a gentle voice, tinged with a faint French accent.

"I have brought you something—a collection of gifts and sweets for the talented little artists," Eliza replied, her eyes sparkling.

The boy's eyes widened in surprise. Uttering a quick, unintelligible phrase, he darted off to find the matron of the orphanage.

"Jens, I implore you to remain in the carriage until my return," Eliza instructed the majordomo, even though she could discern that the elder man wasn't particularly thrilled about assuming the role of chaperone.