39. Chapter (The Ravishing Of Lady E)

Before the grand ball at Prices' could transpire, Eliza and her siblings found themselves attending yet another assembly—this time orchestrated by Lord Rosewell on their estate at the outskirts of London. As later disclosed by Lorraine to the Price sisters, the initial plan had been to host a more extended house party. However, due to her mother's worsening illness, they had to settle for a briefer event. Nevertheless, Lorraine assured the Price sisters that despite the condensed nature, the assembly would still include eligible young people from various social standings, making it a less formal occasion.

Upon hearing this, Eliza swallowed hard, a very distinct image of a gentleman with raven locks imprinting itself on her consciousness.

"Is aught amiss, Eliza?" Lorraine asked with concern, prompting a sneer from Aileen.

"Knowing my sister, she's preparing some sharp, venomous barbs just in case a certain Lord Gray appears," Aileen remarked.

Lorraine's brows arched as Eliza's countenance slightly furrowed. "Oh, my dear Eliza, I heard that Lord Daniel Gray graced your family's summer abode in Hertford—pray, did you perchance resolve your amiable animosity?" she quipped.

Her question only brought forth visions of the devil visiting her one late night in her chamber. Hence, she mustered an ironic smirk and replied, "Pray, Lorraine, I now understand the nature of your inquiry—for Lord Gray and I hold only the utmost respect and kind words for each other."

"Oh, we certainly are glad to hear that," her sister Isabella chimed in, "for I believe his lordship will also be relieved, should you repeat it to him."

"I shall seek Lord Roché," said Lorraine promptly. "Excuse me, ladies."

"Let's find our partners for the following dance," Aileen suggested to Bella, and the twins linked their arms.

If her sisters and a friend vanished so swiftly, there was only one sensible explanation following Bella's remark - the gentleman in question must have stood right behind her back. Eliza took a deep inhale and turned to meet the gaze of olive-coloured eyes which regarded her from head to toe. Apparently, the sight of her pleased him, for a contented smirk graced his countenance, though she felt as if he undressed her right then and there.

"Dressed or nude, you're indeed a splendid sight for sore eyes, Lady Price," Daniel remarked, making her pray that there was enough powder to cover the crimson blush that crept onto her cheeks.

"Lord Gray, cease with such improper flattery, I beseech you," she pleaded, "have you found Marquess St. Arcey yet?" Eliza asked to divert the subject.

"Nay, have you?" he returned, to which Eliza inclined her head in disagreement.

Daniel then observed Arden Price briefly glancing in their direction. Arden then apparently decided to approach the pair, which made Daniel promptly take Eliza's hand and whisk her onto the dance floor. She regarded him with a perplexed gaze.

"What is the meaning of this?!" she inquired.

"Your brother seemed very eager to talk to us, hence I had to take any measure to avoid that chance," he replied nonchalantly. "Rest assured, I have nothing to divulge to him after the eventful occurrences in Hertford."

Daniel then cast upon her a gaze of profound arrogance, to which Eliza snorted in indignation. They had to wait a bit to join the other pairs in the row, while Arden muttered some curses under his breath upon witnessing Daniel's rather ungentlemanly conduct.

"What is it, Lord Price? Are you not pleased that Lord Gray seems to be interested in your sister?" inquired the familiar voice.

Arden sighed and turned to meet Lady Kendall's gaze. "He's not interested in her, Lady Kendall. All he's doing is a mere provocation, nothing more."