59. Epilogue I (The Unexpected Betrayal)

When Emmett aimed his pistol at Eliza, Lady Allman was left dumbfounded. She gazed upon the scene, witnessing Daniel Gray's desperate attempt to halt Eliza's bleeding, but soon, her vision grew blurry as Eliza's sisters and stepmother knelt beside her. Only John remained, sitting in shocked silence as he watched his own daughter teetering on the precipice of demise. It was a ghastly sight, yet she felt no sympathy for this family. Her thoughts raced to Arden and Emmett, and she struggled to decide whether she should await the outcome of this tragic drama or flee from its midst.

In the end, she chose not to tarry and swiftly made her escape. Stepping outside, she caught sight of Jens, the steadfast butler, supporting a blood-stained Emmett. Arden followed close behind, his injuries less severe.

"Arden," she called out to him.

He spun around, his gaze meeting hers. "Leave me be and depart. I hope, for both our sakes, that we shall never cross paths again."

With those words hanging in the air, he pivoted on his heel and trailed after Jens. Realising her presence within the walls of Mayfair House held no further purpose, she made her way to the gate. Her carriage awaited her, patiently stationed outside the Price family residence's way. As the journey back to her rural abode unfolded, she remained deep in thought, contemplating the need to shake off the horrors of the day when Emmett's pistol had nearly claimed her life.

While she harboured no ill will towards poor Eliza, she was relieved that the bullet had found the young lady instead. However, other matters weighed heavily on her heart, and it was challenging to come to terms with her loss. Sighing in frustration, she silently cursed her luck and clenched her teeth. Moments later, the carriage door swung open, revealing her devoted coachman, a man of relative youth who displayed the first signs of grey hairs amidst his dark locks.

"You cannot linger here indefinitely. In due course, the ache of defeat shall ease," he advised in Russian, his voice infused with loyalty to his mistress.

Reluctantly, she nodded, her reply in the same language, laced with a hint of resignation. "Indeed, yet plenty of time will be required. So much effort was expended, all in vain... When Emmett divulged about that chest, I instinctively sensed its significance. My intuition has always surpassed that of any man, as you are well aware. I believed Emmett to be the ideal candidate for this audacious scheme, given his talents and connections. Yet, he sought only to deceive me and claim the riches for himself. Sergei, I am greatly grateful that you exposed that scoundrel Gareth's true nature to me."

Sergei, privy to the entire saga, listened attentively, refraining from interrupting her. He allowed her to unburden herself, understanding the cathartic value of sharing her frustrations.

"Consider it my honour. I must confess, I was astonished by your benevolence towards that woman," he responded, offering his steadfast support.

Lady Allman let out a disdainful scoff. "Why, pray tell? She is but a wretched soul, much like myself when I arrived in this place. And that fool Emmett never saw fit to inform me that she was the crimson-haired maid from the Sullivan's place. There would have been no need for her to suffer the loss of a single nail," she uttered in frustration, her eyes fixed upon the carriage's ceiling. "We ought to have devised an alternative plan long ago. Instead, I was compelled to deceive him, feigning allegiance to the Price family, risking a bullet in their abode or upon my own estate when Gareth took aim. He had no right to inflict torment upon that woman, no matter the deal."

Sergei's grin widened. "Fret not, for Gareth shall no longer trouble anyone. I have taken care of it." His words held truth, for Gareth's lifeless form lay tucked beneath the carriage seat.

"Thank the Heavens," she breathed, "that horrible man had nought but terror to offer."

"As for Emmett," Sergei continued, "mayhaps you should ponder that your own husband surpasses all these English weaklings combined. I am convinced that it is high time we returned to our homeland, to Russia."