Spencer Reid- Sleepless Nights

You and Spencer have been dating for a couple years. One night Spencer wakes up from a nightmare and seeks your comfort

Spencer was sleeping at your place tonight. This was a normal occurrence for the two of you. Especially after cases because you both didn't want to be left alone. It was so nice sleeping next to him.

You slipped into bed and smirked slightly as you watched Spencer strip down to his boxers. He noticed of course and raised his eyebrow, "like what you see hm?"

You ignored the question, instead teasing him. "You know I always thought you'd sleep in I don't know, onesies? Maybe some nerd 4 life pjs ."

"Very funny y/n." He crawled into bed next to you and kissed the tip of your nose, something he always did, and it never failed to give you butterflies.

"I love you Spence."

"I love you too, even if you are mean to me."

You rolled your eyes at him and cuddled up against him. "Do you wanna talk about the case?" Sometimes after a case you and Spencer would talk about it and how it may have affected you. This case was a brutal one. Five women found dead in different alleys. Spencer had to shoot the unsub because he attempted to shoot another woman. You knew how hard that was for Spencer to do, he didn't like shooting anyone because it haunted him afterwards.

You lost your train of thoughts when Spencer shook his head, "not tonight, I'm exhausted. Morgan kept blowing in my ear whenever I tried to sleep on the jet. I'll kill him one of these days, really I will."

"Aww you love him don't lie. He's your big brother in many ways." You ruffled his hair and giggled when he grunted at you.

"Yes and you say siblings are obnoxious."

You couldn't argue there. You laid your head on his chest and he held you close to him. You were the first to fall asleep, listening to Spencers heartbeat.

You woke up when Spencer sat up quickly, wiping the sweat off his forehead and breathing a bit too heavy. You sat up as well and turned on your lamp on your nightstand. "Spence what's wrong?"

"N-nothing y/n," he rubbed his eyes and ran his hand over his face and through his hair. "I'm sorry for waking you up." He looked over at you and saw the doubt written all over your face. He sighed and kissed the tip of your nose, "nightmare," he mumbled.

"Ah," you whispered and leaned into him a bit. Nightmares aren't uncommon either. Usually it's Spencer who gets them. You were the type to lay awake for hours at night while Spencer was the one to get nightmares. You stroked his hair and he immediately buried his head against the crook of your neck and wrapped his arms around you.

He mumbled something but you couldn't hear him until he lifted his head up a bit and mumbled again, "I hate nightmares."

"I know sweetheart," you frowned and lifted his chin up so he was looking at you. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Is it worth this? This job we do, only to be haunted by it?" He asked you.

"It is worth it, it's worth it because it gives families of the murdered peace to know what happened, not to mention all the lives we've saved. In the end it's worth it to know all the good we've done. You Spence, you've done so much good," you grasped his arm gently, giving it a small squeeze.

"But it wears you done, all the horrors and deaths."

"Yes, I can't say it doesn't. But we have each other to lean on. That's why we all make such a great team. We're a family. We aren't dealing with the horrors and deaths alone."

He cuddled up closer to you and kissed your neck softly, "this is why I love you," he whispered while trailing his kissing down to your shoulder. You felt your face redden and pinched his side affectionately.

"Do you think maybe...maybe we could eat some ice cream?" Spencer suddenly asked you.

You looked at him with your eyebrows raised, "ice cream at..." you checked your phone to see what time it was, "2 in the morning?"

"Well yes, there's no time limit on when you can eat ice cream."

"Will ice cream make you feel better?"

Spencer nodded quickly and even stuck out his bottom lip ever so slightly. You rolled your eyes at him. He was such a child sometimes, but you loved it. You got out of bed and made your way to the freezer. After getting two spoons and the tub of chocolate cookie dough ice cream you walked back into your bedroom and set the ice cream on the bed. Spencer took one of the spoons and opened the tub. The two of you sat there eating ice team at 2 in the morning while making light conversations.

"Are you feeling any better now?" You asked once the ice cream was put away and you were both laying back down in bed.

"Yeah I think so," Spencer replied softly, you could tell he was tired, even after all the sugar he just consumed. You pulled him close to you until his head was on your chest. Tonight was your night to hold him. You wanted to make sure he knew exactly how much you loved and cared for him. You also wanted to be the reason he slept peacefully. So you held him close to you and kissed his head.

He fell asleep shortly after, but you stayed up a little longer to make sure he was sleeping peacefully, without a trace of a nightmare. You closed your eyes and kissed his head again before going to sleep. Tomorrow you would make the day special for Spencer, to take his mind off the case and the BAU for a bit. It would just be you and him.