Chapter Twenty

I lasted three days

I lasted three days.

Our presentation was due that day, and watching Skylar and Tristan present together left a dark bitter feeling in my chest. I sat there with my nails digging into my thighs as their chemistry played out in front of the whole class. They bounced off of each other's energy, drawing laughs and cheers from everyone.

Skylar was good, but Tristan's charm really had its chance to shine. He somehow found a way to make statistics funny as he effortlessly rattled off percentages and data points, adding little quips and dry comments. Even Professor Haynes, a man known to be stoic and no-nonsense, chuckled.

As I sat there, a conflicted storm of emotions swirled within me. While a begrudging part of me admired their performance, a much larger and more potent part seethed in angry silence. It felt like a weight pressing down on my chest, squeezing my throat as I watched them with a mixture of envy and desperation. They just seemed so perfect together.

I bet Skylar had her shit together. I bet she didn't have an ex who emotionally abused her enough to put her off relationships for life. I bet she felt like she was enough.

They ended with a round of thunderous applause, both of them bowing dramatically. Skylar righted herself and, with a wide grin, launched herself into Tristan's arms. He caught her effortlessly, laughing before carefully putting her back down — though her hand never left his upper arm.

I sat there, watching all of this as it felt like my world was crumbling around me. That dark, gnawing sensation continued to spread throughout my body, sending shivers down my spine and making my blood run cold. It was an all too familiar feeling.

The first time was when I discovered Dylan's infidelity — how he had cheated on me and then guilted me into believing it was all in my head. The same pattern repeated itself with the next girl. And the next. It was that same sinking feeling of betrayal, deception, and powerlessness that now ravaged me as I watched Tristan and Skylar together. Which was ridiculous because this was nothing like the past.

My heart raced, roaring in my ears as I couldn't tear my eyes away from them. I watched as they climbed the stairs together, smiling and talking about their successful performance. Skylar said something, and Tristan responded with a laugh, making her eyes linger on his face, even pausing on his lips. The jealousy and frustration boiled within me, and I wanted to scream.

I needed to leave.

I needed some time alone to collect my thoughts and regain my composure, to build up those walls and shove these disgusting feelings as far away as possible before Tristan realized what was happening. It wouldn't be fair to him if I revealed the absolute mayhem going on inside my head. I couldn't ruin his mood with my stupid tantrum. I couldn't ruin what we were right now.

I needed to leave.

Grabbing my phone, my fingers fumbling as they trembled, my eyes quickly found the time on the screen. Five minutes until class ended. Surely the professor wouldn't mind if I left now?