Chapter Forty-Four

"Hannah?" Bailey's voice sounded from upstairs, jolting me from my wallowing

Taking a stuttered breath, I quickly pulled myself back together with one last whole-body shudder, roughly wiping at my wet cheeks — but my eyes were red, my nose was running and I couldn't stop shaking. I was a mess, and there was no hiding it. 

As she descended the stairs, I managed to muster a sad smile, sniffling. She knew instantly what had happened, and her face dropped. Without another word, she rushed down the remaining steps, dropping to her knees beside me, and enveloping me in a warm hug. The comfort of her arms threatened to unravel the fragile composure I had barely managed to maintain, but I clung to it with all my strength.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie," she murmured, her arms tightening around me as she stroked my back.

I shook my head against her, pressing my lips together to hold back the tears. "It's okay. I knew this was going to happen, I was prepared for it. I mean, I was the one who ended things — why should I be the heartbroken one?"

"Oh, darling, how could you have prepared for this? You love him." Bailey's voice was soft, her eyes solemn as she pulled back and gently pushed some loose strands of hair out of my face.

My heart jerked painfully in my chest, prompting a pained noise ffrom me, and I curled further into myself. I was still on the floor against the door, and I didn't know if I'd be able to get up any time soon.

"Please don't say it," I whispered.

"That you love him?"

"Yes," I said, my voice breaking on the word. 

Bailey hesitated, the weight of her reluctance evident in the furrow of her brow and the subtle tension that strained her body, but then she sighed, her shoulders slumping in defeat. "Okay. Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," I murmured, my bottom lip trembling as I dropped my head, resting my forehead on my knees, and letting my pants soak up the few stray tears that managed to escape.

Bailey didn't say anything more, but she sat down next to me, her back against the door as she wrapped an arm around my shoulders, offering silent support as I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces.

°•°•°•°