Chapter Thirty-Eight

Tristan was nowhere to be found when we got to the bonfire area, but we did find Jenny and her friends sitting with Matthew and a few others, all enjoying cold beers and some festival food

Tristan was nowhere to be found when we got to the bonfire area, but we did find Jenny and her friends sitting with Matthew and a few others, all enjoying cold beers and some festival food. Jenny was the first to invite us to join them. I thought about saying no and going in search of Tristan, but I didn't want to disturb him if he was busy with his duties. I told myself I'd see him that night, so Bailey and I found ourselves sitting with the group, joining in on their conversations. Well, mostly Bailey.

But try as I might, my mind kept wondering. I had a lot to think about — this whole thing with Amanda being the latest thing. One question kept plaguing me — why hadn't she confronted me about this before? After an entire year?

She wasn't the type to sit back and keep quiet. I guess there had been those rumors she and Penelope had spread, but surely she would have said something? Perhaps Penelope had found a way to keep her quiet, fearing that a confrontation between us would reveal her betrayal, which had kind of happened. However, Amanda might still be too pig-headed to realize what Bailey had implied when she'd reprimanded her.

"And you, Hannah?"

I was jerked from my thoughts by Jenny's question. Both my brows raised as I turned to face her. "I'm sorry, I missed that. Could you repeat the question, please?"

Today she was dressed in a loose peach-colored shirt with the words 'living my best life' on the front and some white yoga pants. Her red hair was pulled into two french braids and she wore very little makeup. She looked young and fresh.

"I was asking everyone what their plans for the holidays were. There's only a month left till Thanksgiving." She smiled, her expression telling me she was genuinely curious about my answer.

"Oh, uh, I'll probably just split my time between my parents — they're divorced. And you?" I replied, returning her smile.

Actually, I wasn't sure if I'd be visiting my dad this year. He had a new girlfriend, and I hadn't met her yet. That probably meant dodging all of my mother's attempts at matchmaking with men from her church. To my mother, only devout, church-going men were suitable for marriage. Not that I had marriage on my mind, but that's not how my mother's mind worked. I got a headache every time I thought about it

Though, I wondered what she'd think of Tristan. I'd chosen not to tell her anything about him because I hadn't wanted to deal with any of her invasive questions, back-handed comments or her fake panic attacks over my dating choices. Why would I when I knew we'd be over soon?

Jenny gave Matthew a big goofy grin, "Matthew has invited me to spend Thanksgiving with him and his family. My parents are doctors, so they'll be at work on the day. It works out perfectly. His sister and I have already been messaging every day, and I adore her."

She looked so content and happy as she gazed up at him, practically glowing with it. I saw her physically melt when he returned her gaze with a small smile of his own. A sharp pain pierced my heart, leaving me almost breathless. Despite the ache, I managed to force a happy smile, though inside, I was consumed with raw, painful envy. Because I'd never have that.