CHAPTER SIX:SURPRISE ARRIVALS

Potli

Potli

Bakshi Bano P.O.V.

I walked through the bazaar,my bandi on either side of me as we scanned the stalls for something that I would like.I also looked for anything that I might need for the fort for the upcoming wedding.The wedding which would take place in two weeks,the stress of which had already begun.The tailors were being called in,the jewellers were at the palace every day and the flowers were being seen to which would be best to decorate the walls of the fort.

"Bakshi bano,ye kanghan bohot pyaari hai." Khaazra spoke softly as we came to a stop in front of a bangle stall.The bangle set she spoke of were a set of white and gold bangles.Two thick bangles sat on the end of the bangle set,I stepped closer to inspect them,seeing the thick bangles had lilly's engraved on them.

(These bangles are very beautiful.)

"Ye kitne ka hai,Sahab?"
(How much are these,sir?)

The stall keeper who had finished with another woman turned to look at me,eyes going wide and head bowing as he realized who I was.

"Bakshi bano,10 rupees."

I gave a nod of my head as I opened my potli,"Please pack this set for." The stall keeper did as I asked and I handed him the money,after which I took the packed bangles which Ikhtiyar took from me.

I continued to wander the bazaar,buying a few perfumes and duppata.When I got done,I mounted my horse while the bandi mounted their horses,two soldiers flanked us as we begun to ride back to the fort.

As we came upon the fort doors,I noticed a caravan along with horses and soldiers I recognised to belong to the royal house.We dismounted our horses as guards took a hold of their reins.

I begun to walk towards the court,I felt a heavy fear settle in my mouth,as my heart thumped loudly in my chest,so loudly that I feared everyone around me could hear it.I wanted to see my father but I had not mentally prepared myself for seeing his wife.

As we got closer to the darbar,I saw Mahnoor taking a tray with towards the darbar.

"Mahnoor," I called out,once she stopped to look at me I continued,"Who has graced us with their presence?"

My heart continued to race as she gave a smile,even though I got a hint that it might not be my father,"Shahensha Haider along with Malika begum and their entourage have blessed us with their presence,Bakshi bano."

My heart begun to calm down,I wiped my sweaty hands against my dress as I felt at ease.Shahensha Haider had said in his message that he would be gracing us but I had thought it would be the week of the wedding.Had something happened that prompted Shahensha Haider to come a week earlier?

I gestured for Mahnoor to walk in,I told my bandi to go to my khwaab-gaah as I entered behind Mahnoor.I could hear talking as we entered.

I held my head high as Mahnoor announced,"Baksbi Bano is present."